Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com> on 2017/08/28 16:38:13 UTC

[VOTE] Bugtracking in Github Issues

We currently use JIRA Issues to track all of the Traffic Control bugs.

Now that we have write access to Github, we can move back to GH Issues for bug tracking.

This will be a better workflow because its one fewer tool and account to have to interact with. This will hopefully lower the bar for new contributors to file bugs and engage with the product. We can also help use it (along with the milestones) to create more useful changelogs and release notes.

A possible downside is that the Issues are maybe less flexible than JIRA in terms of permissions, workflow, fields, etc. However, we were using Issues before we entered the incubator and that was fine for us. Hopefully no one has developed an attachment for JIRA in the last year.

Please Vote +1 to move to Github Issues or -1 to stay on Jira. I’ll assume a lazy consensus if there aren’t enough votes.

—Eric

Re: [VOTE] Bugtracking in Github Issues

Posted by Robert Butts <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1

> 1.  Github  *   Has very little in the way of organizational options

I view Github's simplicity as a plus. Jira has a steep learning curve, and
is discouraging to potential new committers. Every separate tool we have
(issues, wiki, docs) are more obstacles to new people. Github's built-ins
are exponentially easier for new people to start contributing with.

Posted by "Durfey, Ryan" <Ry...@comcast.com>.

CDN Support (24x7): 866-405-2993 or cdn_support@comcast.com<ma...@comcast.com>

Posted by Steve Malenfant <sm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dewayne Richardson <de...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason Tucker <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jan van Doorn <jv...@knutsel.com>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 29, 2017, at 4:47 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 10:38 AM, Eric Friedrich (efriedri) <ef...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> We currently use JIRA Issues to track all of the Traffic Control bugs.
>>
>> Now that we have write access to Github, we can move back to GH Issues for bug tracking.
>>
>> This will be a better workflow because its one fewer tool and account to have to interact with. This will hopefully lower the bar for new contributors to file bugs and engage with the product. We can also help use it (along with the milestones) to create more useful changelogs and release notes.
>>
>> A possible downside is that the Issues are maybe less flexible than JIRA in terms of permissions, workflow, fields, etc. However, we were using Issues before we entered the incubator and that was fine for us. Hopefully no one has developed an attachment for JIRA in the last year.
>>

>> Please Vote +1 to move to Github Issues or -1 to stay on Jira. I’ll assume a lazy consensus if there aren’t enough votes.
>

> I’m +1 on this, but did you verify with the Incubator powers that this is allowed? Another option is to defer this until you are down with incubation, and make the migration to a TLP include moving more of your workflow over to Github proper.

I also should point out that Github Issues is vastly inferior to Jira, in every aspect other than that more people know and are used to the shitty Github system :-).

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: [VOTE] Bugtracking in Github Issues

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 but the fact that only committers can be assigned to issues is a big
problem in my opinion.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.