Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by John Watkinson <co...@spamgourmet.com> on 2005/07/07 23:26:49 UTC

Re: [collections] Generic Collections MultiMap conversion

Thanks Steven for the feedback on the collections-generic project! We
have implemented all your suggestions, and the result is Beta 3.

Please have a look at:

 http://collections.sf.net

Thanks!

 John Watkinson

---

Comments:
- you have used getMap() for the map acessor. The collections framework
doesn't use the get prefix (eg. keySet(), values()) so I woud suggest
map() as a more appropiate name.

- Your MultiMap interface has followed the flaws of the original
[collections] one. It doesn't have sufficient multimap type methods. See
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/collections/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/map/MultiValueMap.java
for our replacement to MultiHashMap.
  - containsValue(Object key, Object value)
  - size(Object key)
  - putAll(Object key, Collection values)
  - iterator(Object key)

- You haven't created a new subpackage for multimap, which I would have
expected now that its a separate interface. Thus MultiHashMap (or
preferably a converted MultiValueMap) would be in this subpackage.

On a separate point, you are also releasing code in the same packages as
Apache [collections]. I'm concerned that this may cause issues if people
place both normal and 1.5 jars in their classpath.

Also, if you intend to keep FastHashMap/FastArrayList etc. then I would
recommend moving them to their appropriate packages.

Stephen