Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Kl...@inventivedesigners.com on 2002/05/27 10:31:38 UTC

SQL EXtension and the xsl:key function

I can't get the key() function to work with result sets from the SQL
Extension. It seems to work only on the main XML document that is processed
by Xalan.

Any idea's? How can I fix this?

Klaas Bals

I asked this question already a while ago. Back then, the message had some
more details... Original message below:

Hi,

I followed the information that Jeni Tenniston put on her website to do
grouping using generate-id() and key() functions. (See
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/keys.html and look for the Muenchian
method).

This works great if you're working with one XML document, but now I have
several XML documents that are included using the Xalan XConnection
extension to get the data from SQL databases. This extension basically
gives me an XML document in an xsl:variable. But, I'm suffering from
problems with xsl:key which doesn't seem to work on other XML sources than
the root XML file.

1. Why is xsl:key not working on external XML files?
2. How can I circumvent this problem to do grouping and sorting on external
XML documents?

Thank you very much for any hints toards the good direction...
Klaas Bals

Note: If you need sample XML and XSL files to work out a solution, let me
know.
Note 2:  I am a programmer myself, so if you let me know how or where to
adapt Xalan, I might be able to do the programming!