Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steinar Rune Eriksen <sr...@bizpartner.no> on 2004/10/15 11:17:14 UTC

Binary data / PDF

hei

I am trying to display a pre-generated PDF file in Cocoon; so I am not
using the FOP stuff. I have a Java generator that loads the PDFs from a
database and holds it as a byte array (byte[]).

Question is : how do I pass a byte array back to Cocoon from the
generator; and how does the sitemap go on further to render it (e.g pdf
serializer)?

My other generators work only on XML documents where I use the following
to pass data back to cocoon. This obviously does not work on binary data.

       XMLReader xmlreader = XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader();
       xmlreader.setContentHandler(xmlConsumer);
       InputSource source = new InputSource(new StringReader(message));
        xmlreader.parse(source);

Re: Binary data / PDF

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 15.10.2004 11:21, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...I am trying to display a pre-generated PDF file in Cocoon; so I am
>> not using the FOP stuff. I have a Java generator that loads the PDFs
>> from a database and holds it as a byte array (byte[])...
>

> To serve binary data you need a Reader, not a Generator. I *think* there
> is a BLOB reader or something similar in Cocoon, but don't have the
> details here.

It's the DatabaseReader I think you have in mind:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/readers/database-reader.html.

Joerg

Re: Binary data / PDF

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 15 oct. 04, à 11:17, Steinar Rune Eriksen a écrit :

> ...I am trying to display a pre-generated PDF file in Cocoon; so I am
> not using the FOP stuff. I have a Java generator that loads the PDFs
> from a database and holds it as a byte array (byte[])...

To serve binary data you need a Reader, not a Generator. I *think*
there is a BLOB reader or something similar in Cocoon, but don't have
the details here.

-Bertrand