Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Lu, Wei" <wl...@microstrategy.com> on 2012/01/11 08:13:57 UTC

RE:

BTW, I am using hive 0.7

From: Lu, Wei
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:13 PM
To: 'user@hive.apache.org'

I am using ThriftHive.Client to access a pretty large table.

SQL Statement:
select    a11.asin  asin,
                max(a11.title)  title,
                a11.salesrank  salesrank,
                a11.category  category,
                avg(a11.avg_rating)  WJXBFS1,
                sum(a11.total_num_reviews)  WJXBFS2,
                sum(a11.num_subcategories)  WJXBFS3
from      table_details      a11
group by              a11.asin,
                a11.salesrank,
                a11.category.

The statement will select a pretty large result set (1,000,000+ rows). When I use ThriftHive.Client fetchAll() to get all the row strings, an exception returns like below:

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: Internal error processing fetchAll
      at org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException.read(TApplicationException.java:108)
      at org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.recv_fetchAll(ThriftHive.java:224)
      at org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.fetchAll(ThriftHive.java:208)
      ... ...

Why does that happen? How could I deal with it? It seem that incremental fetch is not supported by hive.

Regards,
Wei

RE:

Posted by Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com>.