Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org> on 2004/02/12 22:51:43 UTC

Re: [mp2] rfc: adding MP_INSTALL_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 17:39 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Our test suite gets quite a few important tests that require certain modules
> or certain version numbers to be installed. Without which users get those
> tests skipped, which may miss problems. Even though we have Bundle::Apache2,
> users need to take a special action to install those and since the bundle will
> contain modules relying on mp2 itself, it's not practical to install the
> Bundle before mp2 is installed. So ideally we want CPAN.pm/CPANPLUS to detect
> the optional prerequisites and fetch them automatically. Therefore think to
> add to modperl-2.0/Makefile.PL an optional PREREQ_PM which will be passed to
> WriteMakefile only if MP_INSTALL_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1 is passed.

Why even make it optionnal at all? If you are simply setting PREREQ_PM,
then the choice of installing those extra modules or not will be
presented to the installing user by the cpan shell, isn't it ?

> If we ever prompt users for anything we could prompt them as well for that
> option as well. If you think this name is too long, please suggest a different
> name.
>
> Hmm, may be the name is misleading after all, since it's only when Makefile.PL
> is run under CPAN.pm/CPANPLUS it'll automatically install these optional
> modules. Otherwise it'll just warn about unsatisfied dependencies and
> continues. MP_REQUIRE_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1?
>
> To start with we will want to populate PREREQ_PM with LWP/whatever, CGI/3.01,
> Compress::Zlib/1.09 and may be a few more.

I'd make a distinction between modules we consider important (essential
even) to the test suite, and place them in PREREQ_PM by default. Then,
maybe conditionnally add the modules that would be nice if they were
there, like Chatbot::Eliza, etc...

> I'm also going to extend the bugreport class to tell us version numbers of
> selected modules, which will be set individually by each package using
> Apache-Test. e.g. I want the mp2 report include the CGI.pm version, since most
> reported bugs connected with older CGI.pm, are already fixed in the latest
> versions.

That's definitively a good idea.

> p.s. I hope Lincoln will release CGI.pm 3.01 asap.

Same here.

Re: [mp2] rfc: adding MP_INSTALL_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 17:39 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Our test suite gets quite a few important tests that require certain modules
>>or certain version numbers to be installed. Without which users get those
>>tests skipped, which may miss problems. Even though we have Bundle::Apache2,
>>users need to take a special action to install those and since the bundle will
>>contain modules relying on mp2 itself, it's not practical to install the
>>Bundle before mp2 is installed. So ideally we want CPAN.pm/CPANPLUS to detect
>>the optional prerequisites and fetch them automatically. Therefore think to
>>add to modperl-2.0/Makefile.PL an optional PREREQ_PM which will be passed to
>>WriteMakefile only if MP_INSTALL_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1 is passed.
>

> Why even make it optionnal at all? If you are simply setting PREREQ_PM,
> then the choice of installing those extra modules or not will be
> presented to the installing user by the cpan shell, isn't it ?
>

>>If we ever prompt users for anything we could prompt them as well for that
>>option as well. If you think this name is too long, please suggest a different
>>name.
>>
>>Hmm, may be the name is misleading after all, since it's only when Makefile.PL
>>is run under CPAN.pm/CPANPLUS it'll automatically install these optional
>>modules. Otherwise it'll just warn about unsatisfied dependencies and
>>continues. MP_REQUIRE_OPTIONAL_MODULES=1?
>>
>>To start with we will want to populate PREREQ_PM with LWP/whatever, CGI/3.01,
>>Compress::Zlib/1.09 and may be a few more.
>

> I'd make a distinction between modules we consider important (essential
> even) to the test suite, and place them in PREREQ_PM by default. Then,
> maybe conditionnally add the modules that would be nice if they were
> there, like Chatbot::Eliza, etc...

Yes, but if I add Foo::Bar => 1.0 to PREREQ_PM, we get:

   Warning: prerequisite Foo::Bar 1.0 not found.

when building w/o CPAN and friends.

That will be confusing to users, since they won't know whether they are
required to get it or not. I'm not looking for adding more reasons for getting
confused questions. That's why I've suggested to have a config variable, which
people can read about in the docs and won't need to ask questions at the list.

>>I'm also going to extend the bugreport class to tell us version numbers of
>>selected modules, which will be set individually by each package using
>>Apache-Test. e.g. I want the mp2 report include the CGI.pm version, since most
>>reported bugs connected with older CGI.pm, are already fixed in the latest
>>versions.
>

> That's definitively a good idea.

That has been done long time ago ;)