Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Damien Dye <da...@madwire.co.uk> on 2002/01/19 00:48:39 UTC

DNS names in logs

Hi all
I want to be able to have the full DNS names of machines visiting my site.
the only problem is that all configuration has to be done though .htaccess
files

Is there a way of enabling the lookup of DNS names for the ip's visiting my
web site. ?

Thanks

--
Damien J Dye
Madwire Admin

Re: DNS names in logs

Posted by Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>.
Damien Dye wrote to users@httpd.apache.org:

> Hi all

> I want to be able to have the full DNS names of machines visiting my
> site. the only problem is that all configuration has to be done
> though .htaccess files

I don't think so. This is specified with the global HostnameLookups
option in httpd.conf.

> Is there a way of enabling the lookup of DNS names for the ip's
> visiting my web site. ?

Not from Apache, but busy sites often do this post-haste anyway...
Just run your logs through a script that does the lookups for the IP
addresses. Do this fairly frequently (eg daily), as hostnames can
change. Keep the resolved names in a hash to improve efficiency of
each run.

OTOH, I know that there are several packages out there that already do
this... So, if you can find, install, and test something suitable
quicker than you can write a few lines of Perl code, then you may want
to go that route.

- Ryan

> Thanks
>
> --
> Damien J Dye
> Madwire Admin
> damien@madwire.co.uk
> LFS ID is: 2305

  Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon