Posted to users@camel.apache.org by CraigLaSalle <cr...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/20 21:21:54 UTC

Stopping long redelivery on Camel shutdown

Hi Camel Experts -

I have a route that uses the HTTP component to call a web service. If the
HTTP component returns
"org.apache.camel.component.http.HttpOperationFailedException", then the
<onException> definition specifies to attempt redeliveries.

The RedeliveryPolicy specifies a redelivery delay of 15 seconds, a maximum
redeliveries of 480, for a total wait time of 2 hours.

        <onException>

<exception>org.apache.camel.component.http.HttpOperationFailedException</exception>
            <redeliveryPolicy redeliveryDelay="15000"
maximumRedelivers="480" />
            <handled>
                <constant>true</constant>
            </handled>
        </onException>

The problem is on shutdown. The Camel shutdown flow will wait for any
inflight messages that are in the "redelivery loop" to complete, which of
course can be several hours. We want to be able to shutdown the component in
a much shorter time without the long wait, gracefully.

QUESTION: Is there a way to terminate the redelivery of the messages when
Camel is shutdown?

Thanks,
-Craig LaSalle

Re: Stopping long redelivery on Camel shutdown

Posted by CraigLaSalle <cr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again, it worked like a charm.

Re: Stopping long redelivery on Camel shutdown

Posted by CraigLaSalle <cr...@gmail.com>.
Excellent. I'll try it out. Thank you!

Re: Stopping long redelivery on Camel shutdown

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

This has been improved in Camel 2.9.1 onwards

- Graceful Shutdown is now more aggressive if timeout occurred during
shutdown, rejecting continued processing of messages or redeliveries.

There is a default timeout of 5 minutes in the graceful shutdown. You
can customize this, for example to a lower value.
Then Camel shutdown will force a shutdown when the  timeout is hit.
http://camel.apache.org/graceful-shutdown.html

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM, CraigLaSalle <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Camel Experts -
>
> I have a route that uses the HTTP component to call a web service. If the
> HTTP component returns
> "org.apache.camel.component.http.HttpOperationFailedException", then the
> <onException> definition specifies to attempt redeliveries.
>
> The RedeliveryPolicy specifies a redelivery delay of 15 seconds, a maximum
> redeliveries of 480, for a total wait time of 2 hours.
>
>        <onException>
>
> <exception>org.apache.camel.component.http.HttpOperationFailedException</exception>
>            <redeliveryPolicy redeliveryDelay="15000"
> maximumRedelivers="480" />
>            <handled>
>                <constant>true</constant>
>            </handled>
>        </onException>
>
> The problem is on shutdown. The Camel shutdown flow will wait for any
> inflight messages that are in the "redelivery loop" to complete, which of
> course can be several hours. We want to be able to shutdown the component in
> a much shorter time without the long wait, gracefully.
>
> QUESTION: Is there a way to terminate the redelivery of the messages when
> Camel is shutdown?
>
> Thanks,
> -Craig LaSalle

Claus Ibsen