Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/04 14:17:45 UTC

Tagging pages on the Apache JSPWiki public site

I note as the new wiki is up and running: before everyone goes through and
adds all the category
links, is there any desire to instead use the TagPlugin we have as part of
the Neocortext Wiki
Plugins? This provides a means of tagging pages, with querying on tags
available via the
HasTagOf plugin. There's also a tag cloud plugin.

Just thought before everyone puts a ton of effort in to categorising the
wiki using normal links,
tags might be preferred.

If so, I could probably release just the tagging features as a separate
jar, apart from the bulk of the
rest of the Neocortext plugins.

Let me know what you all think, if the Apache site needs to be entirely
Apache-only or if it could
use a contributed plugin. (we don't plan to release our plugins into the
Apache project but plan
to distribute them ourselves via an Apache license)

Cheers,

Ichiro

Re: Tagging pages on the Apache JSPWiki public site

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

Yes, I have the sources. They were originally written by Murray Altheim and
I am now maintaining them. We will be releasing the TagPlugin and other
plugins (including source code) as part of the Neocortext Wiki Plugin suite
after they have been tested for compatibility with the new release of
JSPWiki 2.10.x, i.e., after things have settled down a bit.

Thanks for the link to your wiki, as this shows the tag plugin and tag cloud
in action. As I've mentioned previously, the look and feel of both is
dictated
by CSS.

Ichiro

Posted by Peter Hormanns <pe...@jalin.de>.
Hi Ichiro,

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, it's currently installed only on some intranet wikis, nothing
public.

Basically, the advantages are:

*   tags are not simply links and mixed in with the semantics and processing
    of normal links, so they don't have use funky names (such as starting
    with "Category*". I think this allows users to understand the difference
    between a link and a tag as being different things.

*  The tag syntax is relatively simple:

       [{Tag Actor Person Male French }]

*   Tags are required to be wiki pages so that the meaning
    of each tag is documented. This keeps people from creating bad tags,
    misspelled tags, etc. (a common problem in tagging systems)

*   there is a TagManager that can be queried for the existence of tags,
    either across the wiki or for a specific page. This is used in listing
all
    of the tags for a page (TagsPlugin, alias "Tags"), or all the pages that
    contain a specific tag (HasTagOfPlugin, alias "HasTagOf").

*   The HasTagOf plugin permits simple logic to query tags, e.g.,

        [{HasTagOf ( ( tag1 AND tag2 ) NOT ( tag3 OR tag4 ) ) }]

    This includes an "exclude" parameter to exclude pages from the final
    result.

*   The display of the plugins is dictated by CSS, so they look as different
    as one likes (e.g., with or without borders, colours, etc.)

*   The tagging feature has been in production use for over eight years.

*   A plugin akin to the IfPlugin could be written to actually operate upon
    the results of a tag query. We've been thinking about this one for
awhile,
    just haven't had the requirement. But hooking it into Javascript/JQuery
    could produce some cool tag-based features.

*  I'll provide documentation for all of the tags and how to use them on
    the j-wiki.a.o wiki.

We would of course be releasing not only the jar but the source as well.

Ichiro

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ichiro,

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.