Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by ACKE AC <ac...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/16 04:17:38 UTC

About GRE isolation in CS 4.1.1

Hello all,

 I'm trying to test the function of GRE solution with XenServer 6.1 and CS
4.1.1 for Guest Network,
but it still needs the VLAN range to deploy the Virtual Machine. Did anyone
use GRE isolation method in your environment without VLAN?

The following are my testing steps:

Environment:
- CloudStack 4.1.1
- 1 * XenServer 6.1 (with default Open vSwitch)
# Use two nics, tag as cloud-guest, cloud-private

Steps:
1. Deploy the cloud infrastructure of the Zone with Network Mode: Advance
Mode
2. Setup Network:
- Physical Network 1 (isolation: VLAN) use cloud-private (public,
management Network)
- Physical Network 2 (isolation: GRE) use cloud-guest (guest Network)
3. Setup Guest Traffic
- VLAN Range  --> keep it empty and click Next
4. Make sure SSVM/CPVM start correctly
5. Deploy the Virtual Machine and occurs
"com.cloud.exception.InsufficientVirtualNetworkCapcityException: Unable to
allocate vnet as a part of network Ntwk[204|Guest|8]"

if update the VLAN range then can deploy the VMs successfully, but each VM
will allocate one NIC with VLAN tagged interface. In my understanding, it
shouldn't use VLAN interface and will use GRE tunnel to create the tunnel
or handle the traffic by Open vSwitch inside.

Here is the reference.
http://buildacloud.org/blog/221-sdn-in-cloudstack.html

Any suggestion and advice are welcome :)

acke.

Re: About GRE isolation in CS 4.1.1

Posted by ACKE AC <ac...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for Venkata's answer, it's successful to create GRE tunnel for each
host without VLAN and can isolate for each Network.
It's really awesome and cool without VLAN configuration, easy and effective
for isolation in advance mode!

Configuration Note:
1. sdn.ovs.controller  -> true
2. sdn.ovs.controller.default.label  -> <depends on the PIF tags>

Although while the deployment the UI uses VLAN ID range, it's much more
like <talent id>. the value will use for the network interface name:
OVSTunnel<vlandid> for VR/VM.
Thanks again!

acke.

Posted by Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com>.