Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2006/05/26 11:49:35 UTC

Question about SUN JAI Jars

Hi,

some time ago, I've asked about including Sun Jars into binary
distributions (as e.g. Tomcat 4.1 does). The discussion did somehow went
nowhere, so I'd like to raise (yes, I know, no one really wants to hear
about that again anymore) the question for the following situation:

There is a framework for rendering DocBook documentation in SVN at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/docbook/trunk/

This is not something that should be distributed in a formal way, it
just sits there and gets checked out and occasionally "ant" is called in
its base directory to render docbook source files.

Its end-users could hugely benefit from the inclusion of the
jai_core.jar and jai_codec.jars which currently must be downloaded from
https://jai.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html#Stable_builds_1.1.3 (note
that there is no "click through" license agreement) and put into the lib
subdirectory to get the PDF rendering to work, as described in
README.FIRST.

I've checked the LICENSE-JDL.txt file included with the stable release
(http://download.java.net/media/jai/builds/stable/1_1_3-dr-b01/jai-1_1_3-dr-b01-lib-linux-i586.zip) but IANAL. What I'd like to know is whether there is some way to include these two jars into the repository (because, as I said, the whole framework will probably not be distributed, it is just the environment to build the stuff that is distributed (the documentation).

Help :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: Question about SUN JAI Jars

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 2:49 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
>> I've checked the LICENSE-JDL.txt file included with the stable release
>> (http://download.java.net/media/jai/builds/stable/1_1_3-dr-b01/
>> jai-1_1_3-dr-b01-lib-linux-i586.zip) but IANAL. What I'd like to know is
>> whether there is some way to include these two jars into the repository
>> (because, as I said, the whole framework will probably not be distributed,
>> it is just the environment to build the stuff that is distributed (the
>> documentation).
>
> No, the repository does not fulfill the terms of that license.  They
> require the agreement to be made via click-through terms.  You should
> distribute a build script instead that downloads the jars from Sun.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is worth asking them to consider
CDDL for the next release? It mentions TCK a lot, does that make it less
likely for them to want to CDDL?

Hen

Re: Question about SUN JAI Jars

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On May 26, 2006, at 2:49 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> I've checked the LICENSE-JDL.txt file included with the stable release
> (http://download.java.net/media/jai/builds/stable/1_1_3-dr-b01/
> jai-1_1_3-dr-b01-lib-linux-i586.zip) but IANAL. What I'd like to
> know is whether there is some way to include these two jars into
> the repository (because, as I said, the whole framework will
> probably not be distributed, it is just the environment to build
> the stuff that is distributed (the documentation).

No, the repository does not fulfill the terms of that license.  They
require the agreement to be made via click-through terms.  You should
distribute a build script instead that downloads the jars from Sun.

....Roy

Re: Question about SUN JAI Jars

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
The license for every release of the JAI libs is different (current
release is different from 1.1.3-stable, is different from 1.1.3-beta).

I've attached the license file from the zip.

	Best regards
		Henning