Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/11/13 20:41:25 UTC

httpd manual page for review

An XML version of the httpd man page is attached.

As far as format, I've stuck fairly close to true "man page" format, but
I've changed a couple things (like moving the synopsis into the
<summary>).  I've deliberately not used any new xml tags -- just the ones
we already have defined.  If we want to add a couple more symantically
accurate tags in the future, we could consider that.

I have also done a quick job of bringing things up-to-date by scanning
through main.c looking for undocumented arguments.

Comments welcome.  I'll nuke the nroff version at the same time that I
commit this.

Joshua.

Re: httpd manual page for review

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Astrid Kessler wrote:

> I would suggest to use <code> for the whole synopsis. Because it is
> (command line) code. Same for Options (<dt>).

+1.

Addtionally, the manpages are good candidates for <parentdocument> :)

I'm not very happy with the usage of <strong>, but I don't know a real good
alternative, so I can live with it.

Otherwise it's fine for me.

nd
--
> [...] weiß jemand zufällig, was der Tag DIV ausgeschrieben bedeutet?
DIVerses. Benannt nach all dem unstrukturierten Zeug, was die Leute da
so reinpacken und dann absolut positionieren ...
                           -- Florian Hartig und Lars Kasper in dciwam

Re: httpd manual page for review

Posted by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> hmmm, not quite sure about this...as long as we stay with the
> bold/italicized distinction between option and value I won't veto ;-)

hm, look at install.html. Maybe we should get a generall agreement how to
deal with command line input...

> BTW: Kess and Andre, are you subscribed to the party@ list?

Not now, but soon ... :)

Kess

Re: httpd manual page for review

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Astrid Kessler wrote:
> Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote in
>

> I would suggest to use <code> for the whole synopsis. Because it is
> (command line) code. Same for Options (<dt>).
>

> Kess

hmmm, not quite sure about this...as long as we stay with the
bold/italicized distinction between option and value I won't veto ;-)

...but the rest is very fine ;-)

cheers,
erik

BTW: Kess and Andre, are you subscribed to the party@ list? Today, we
had a discussion about a possible German Apache meeting at community@.
The discussion will go on at party@. I also prepared a file with all the
interested people so far, you can find it at
cvs:committers/docs/de-meeting/people.txt...if you are interested,
please add yourself... :-)

Re: httpd manual page for review

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> An XML version of the httpd man page is attached.
>
> As far as format, I've stuck fairly close to true "man page" format, but
> I've changed a couple things (like moving the synopsis into the
> <summary>).  I've deliberately not used any new xml tags -- just the ones
> we already have defined.  If we want to add a couple more symantically
> accurate tags in the future, we could consider that.
>
> I have also done a quick job of bringing things up-to-date by scanning
> through main.c looking for undocumented arguments.
>
> Comments welcome.  I'll nuke the nroff version at the same time that I
> commit this.

Yes, this looks good to me. No particular comments, except that I very
much like having these docs in the same format as the rest of the docs.
Makes them easier on the eyes.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun