Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jeon Jeongho <ma...@myscan.org> on 2002/06/20 05:04:40 UTC

on charset setting of error documents

Hi!

I am about to translate error documents (type-map file)
to Korean.  Then got a question how to treat charset.

1) Can I set HTTP headers in type-map file?

2) Is it ok that error/include/top.html has the meta tag
   which value is assigned by (ex, "CHARSET") variable
   in error documents?

3) Or depend on browser's charset auto-detect feature (or
   AddDefaultCharset directive)?  Or no problem at all?

What option is used in apache docs project?

Thanks :-)

Re: on charset setting of error documents

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Jeon Jeongho wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am about to translate error documents (type-map file)
> to Korean.  Then got a question how to treat charset.
>
> 1) Can I set HTTP headers in type-map file?

You should be able to set the character set on the Content-Type line, as in

> 2) Is it ok that error/include/top.html has the meta tag
>    which value is assigned by (ex, "CHARSET") variable
>    in error documents?

Bad idea.  Meta tags are almost always inferior to proper http headers.

> 3) Or depend on browser's charset auto-detect feature (or
>    AddDefaultCharset directive)?  Or no problem at all?

Also a bad idea.  The server should be sending the correct info in the
http headers.

Joshua.