Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/03 18:08:57 UTC

What is JAVA_HOME?

What is the use of the Java Home directory to Tomcat.What are the
files of the Java installation that Tomcat uses?I am asking this to
determine the set of files and their Home directory which should be
set as JAVA_HOME

Varuna

Re: What is JAVA_HOME?

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

One way to do this globally for Fedora 14 is to create a custom.sh file in /etc/profile.d. Place the values in there.

For example:

JAVA_HOME=<where you installed the JDK>
JRE_HOME=<where you installed the JRE>

export JAVA_HOME JRE_HOME

This suggestion is taken from the comments in /etc/profile.

just my two cents . . .

/mde/

Re: What is JAVA_HOME?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> On 3 May 2011 23:16, David Smith <da...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>> Depends on your OS and how you start tomcat (startup script or as a
>> service).
>>
>> --David

>>> How to set  environment variables permanently.Without having to set
>>> each time it is needed to be used.

>  I am using Fedora 14 at the time if that is so what is the way to do it?

In the "bin" directory of Tomcat (*), create (or edit) a script named "setenv.sh", and put
the definitions there.
At least, if you downloaded and installed tomcat from the tomcat website.
If you are using a Fedora package, then you should ask the people who created that package.

(*) where you should also find scripts named "catalina.sh" and "startup.sh".

Re: What is JAVA_HOME?

Posted by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com>.

Re: What is JAVA_HOME?

Posted by David Smith <da...@cornell.edu>.