Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Sukesh M Prabhakar <sp...@in.ibm.com> on 2003/08/25 05:20:13 UTC

PowerPoint Info

Hi,
I am working on reading the binary stream of PowerPoint.

I needed information regarding the psrRefernce variable in the
SlidePersistAtom. The documentation for the Microsoft SDK says
psrReference is a logical reference to the slide persist object.

Whenever a slide is edited and modified, the value of this variable may or
may not change.
When a slide is added or deleted also this variable changes value.
So, I need to know the things that affect the value of this variable.How is
the value calculated?
Can someone provide some information regarding this detail?

Thanks and Regards
Sukesh Manjunath

--Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
 but by the moments that take our breath away.

RE: PowerPoint Info

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
With all due respect, I have to disagree. Sukesh is working on a set of
classes to read Power Point. Perhaps when he (she?) finishes, the source
code will be donated to this community. Even if it is not, the discussion of
Power Point formats and internals may inspire someone else to deliver a
Power Point API for POI.

There are many reasons why it may not be possible for Sukesh to contribute
the actual code he develops. For instance, if the code he develops is work
for hire, he does not own it. He may not be able to sign the required Apache
Contributor License Agreement. He may be using other open source that
conflicts with the Apache license.

Even if he does not contribute any code, he is still a user (at least a user
of POIFS).

This is a good community to draw on for knowledge of Microsoft Office binary
file formats.  In fact, I don't know of any other open source community that
provides this kind of knowledge for Java. I for one encourage Sukesh to
continue asking questions.

This is help for people working on POI.  If you're working on your own port
of PowerPoint, do not ask THIS community to help you.  If you want the
support of this community, support this community with your code.

-Andy

On 8/24/03 11:20 PM, "Sukesh M Prabhakar" <sp...@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working on reading the binary stream of PowerPoint.
>
> I needed information regarding the psrRefernce variable in the
> SlidePersistAtom. The documentation for the Microsoft SDK says
> psrReference is a logical reference to the slide persist object.
>
> Whenever a slide is edited and modified, the value of this variable may or
> may not change.
> When a slide is added or deleted also this variable changes value.
> So, I need to know the things that affect the value of this variable.How
is
> the value calculated?
> Can someone provide some information regarding this detail?
>

> Thanks and Regards
> Sukesh Manjunath
>

> --Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
> but by the moments that take our breath away.

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: PowerPoint Info

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
This is help for people working on POI.  If you're working on your own port
of PowerPoint, do not ask THIS community to help you.  If you want the
support of this community, support this community with your code.

-Andy

On 8/24/03 11:20 PM, "Sukesh M Prabhakar" <sp...@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working on reading the binary stream of PowerPoint.
>
> I needed information regarding the psrRefernce variable in the
> SlidePersistAtom. The documentation for the Microsoft SDK says
> psrReference is a logical reference to the slide persist object.
>
> Whenever a slide is edited and modified, the value of this variable may or
> may not change.
> When a slide is added or deleted also this variable changes value.
> So, I need to know the things that affect the value of this variable.How is
> the value calculated?
> Can someone provide some information regarding this detail?
>

> Thanks and Regards
> Sukesh Manjunath
>

> --Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
> but by the moments that take our breath away.

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.