Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Lu Niu <qq...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/25 18:28:06 UTC

About metric name truncation

Hi, Flink dev

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6898 truncates metric name to
less than 80. We plan to relax this in our environment. Want to ask here
whether it will cause any side effects? Thank you!

Best
Lu

Re: About metric name truncation

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
It may cause certain metric backends to reject metrics due to names
being too long.
IIRC we have seen this with graphite in particular.

In some cases removing this truncation can also impact the transfer of
metrics due to size limitations.

Overall, I would advise you to not remove this truncation, and either
specify short operator names or rely on IDs for metrics.