Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/20 05:35:00 UTC

JMeter project analytics

Hello,

I was wondering about how many users / downloads does JMeter have and
I couldn't find such information except indirectly via the usage
statistics from http://www.jmeter-plugins.org/stats/

Just yesterday we were discussing about MongoDB support which is
deprecated since it's not used very much but usage is measured
indirectly from support questions.

Are there any other sources of such info?

I believe it would be healthy for JMeter to actively measure such
usage info in order to better decide the future.

A while back NetBeans measured anonymously various metrics in order to
prioritise work. Information such as this
http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/graph/projecttypes.jsp and
this http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/graph/databaseservers.jsp
and this http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/graph/technologies.jsp
help determine which plugin deserves extra attention and which is
heading towards deprecation.

So, we should think about how we could implement something like this
while respecting the Apache rules surrounding user data.

--emi

Re: JMeter project analytics

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 July 2017 at 06:53, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Emilian,

> In the past it was possible through Apache to know number of downloads.
Huh?
> With mirrors it appears we lost this precious (IMO) info.

The ASF has used 3rd party mirrors for ages, probably from before
JMeter was started.

There has never been a way to measure what downloads are made through
the 3rd party mirrors, so I'm not sure what information you think has
been lost.

> What you propose is a good idea but there are many issues:
> - privacy if we use something like GA
> - all users behind enterprise proxies or with a bad network
> - plus amount of work

Agreed.

> For now we use:
> - number of issues reported
> - questions on SO and mailing lists

Agreed.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
> Hello Emilian,
>
> We could possibily use GA with events for that.
> Of course if anybody wants to investigate the legal/privacy part (and all
> the impacts accross all countries which highly differ ) and volunteer code
> why not.
> You should create a bugzilla so that it's in our records.
I think the legal/privacy part is really important as well as the usage
of such a feature behind a firewall. I had software, that started really
slow because of a phone home feature, that had to timeout before the
software started.

Felix

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Emilian,