Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by Riccardo Iaconelli <Ri...@qredo.com.INVALID> on 2022/06/27 10:20:01 UTC

Introducing myself + facilitating an MPC release

Hi all,

I joined a few weeks ago the mailing list (you might have seen some of my learning pull requests coming along, too) and I would love to briefly introduce myself to you all.

My name Riccardo Iaconelli, I've been a KDE developer for over 15 years, a Mozillian for 5, and throughout my career I worked on several other free software projects ranging from open knowledge to public software, trying to ensure they are all healty and community driven. I recently joined Qredo to help improve the company's open source strategy and practice, both for internal and when contributing to 3rd party projects.

Even though I will initially mostly work internally and on new software that will be released, I will have some time to dedicate to other endeavors. As such, I'd love to use this time to contribute to Milagro and help making it a successful and widely used project.

To start with, I'd love to help facilitate the release of the MPC library, which as far as I can read from the archives has been almost ready since a while. I noticed that although there is a tag in the git repository, it was never officially released or announced, and the build instructions were not fully working on my laptop (see PR #42).

What is the status of the library? If the code is ready and it is possible to change the tag, unless there's a reason for not doing so, I would suggest re-tagging v1.0 to the latest commit which includes the build fixes and get it out the door soon. I would be happy to assist here with what is needed!
I also got my hands a bit dirty with the infrastructure and am introducing some simplification/parametrization to the Dockerfile. We might want to wait for that too if you think it's worth it. Thoughts?

Finally, I noticed the website needs a bit of love, for example marking as archived/unmaintained the projects that are archived on the GitHub page. I have already started playing with the website itself (e.g. including MPC Doxygen documentation), so I will open a specific thread on the matter.

That's it for now! I am excited to be here, I think Milagro is a great piece of software and I can't wait to see it graduate as a proper Apache project!

Talk to you soon,

-Riccardo

Re: Introducing myself + facilitating an MPC release

Posted by Kealan McCusker <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Riccardo

It is great to have on board to help move the project forward.

I think that before we make a release we should do as you suggest which is
to clean up the build and test infrastructure.

regards

Kealan