Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by fractals <fr...@ping.be> on 2001/05/14 23:36:03 UTC

I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Now, putting the mailets in the documented way (like in the sample
JAMES.conf.xml: see below), I cannot let my users send mail.

I need more explanations on this !

Now what is clear to me now is that this "anti-spam" mailet prevents spammer
to send mails that are NotInNetwork. It should be clear that this rule
applies when the mails sender is not one of the local users.

My question is very simple:

How do I setup James so that the mails that are written by local users ARE
ALLOWED to be sent outwards, and those which are written by unknown people
get into dev/null.

The mailets in the right order:

<mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1, <here comes my network>"
class="ToProcessor">
    <processor> spam </processor>
</mailet>

and:

<mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
    <outgoing> file://../var/mail/outgoing/ </outgoing>
    <!-- <outgoing> town://mail-outgoing </outgoing>-->
<delayTime> 21600000 </delayTime>
<maxRetries> 5 </maxRetries>
</mailet>
</processor>

Re: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
fractals wrote:

> The mailets in the right order:
>
> <mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1, <here comes my network>"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I changed mine to 192.168.1.* and everything was fine; users can send
mail out.

BTW, the attribute of that element is pretty confusing, I think. What is
the actual meaning of "RemoteAddressNotInNetwork?" Who's "Network?"
Mine? Anyway, my correct entry is that to have 192.168.1.*. Does it mean
that 192.168.1.* are the IP numbers of the hosts that are remote and not
in my network? Well, it's the opposite. They are local, and in my
network.

Oki

Re: proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BEABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> At 11:40  15/5/01 -0700, Harmeet Bedi wrote:
> >I think James would be richer if it had SMTP AUTH support. It seems to be a
> >well supported extension and could be useful.
> >The RFC is at http://www.innosoft.com/rfc/rfc2554.html
> >Some industry support for this at
> >http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/client.html and
> >http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/server.html
> >
> >What do you think ?
>
> +1

+1 for concept but I haven't any time for this at the moment.
Charles

Re: proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 11:40  15/5/01 -0700, Harmeet Bedi wrote:
>I think James would be richer if it had SMTP AUTH support. It seems to be a
>well supported extension and could be useful.
>The RFC is at http://www.innosoft.com/rfc/rfc2554.html
>Some industry support for this at
>http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/client.html and
>http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/server.html
>
>What do you think ?

+1

Cheers,

Pete

Re: proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> I think James would be richer if it had SMTP AUTH support. It seems to be a
> well supported extension and could be useful.
> The RFC is at http://www.innosoft.com/rfc/rfc2554.html
> Some industry support for this at
> http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/client.html and
> http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/server.html
>
> What do you think ?

I haven't visited those links; but I think, it would be great. We can
make sure that the sender addresses are indeed real (not bogus).

BTW, what about the communications among servers. AFAIK, for them to
communicate on port 25 wouldn't need any authentication. It should be
implemented on mailet, right?

> Alec, would you be willing to contribute your SMTP Auth code for this under
> Apache License ?

Yes, Alec please...

Oki

Re: about SMTP service extensions

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Alec Yu wrote:

> As we (or some of us) know, SMTP comes with service extensions.
> I noticed JAMES not providing any of SMTP service extensions,
> and the SMTP handler did not take service extensions in mind.
>
> If JAMES provides a plug-in style for managing SMTP service extensions,
> it will be great.
>
> Think about this:
> For people who want to provide their own SMTP service extensions,
> they may derive a custom service extension class from the generic one,
> and then code customized SMTP commands in the service extension
> in the derived class.

This is a great idea, it just needs someone to di it :-)
Charles

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Two quick thoughts before I return to lurking...
>
> 1. ESMTP support sounds great.  +1 to incorporating it.
>
> 2. I've been thinking of going into the guts of James to reduce the use of a
> MimeMessage.
>
> Really, the only time we *need* a MimeMessage object is during Mailet
> processing.  I remember adding code so that the Mail object only
> instantiates the MimeMessage if a mailet uses the MimeMessage, and this
> speeds things great, but I'm not sure what the state of that is now (whether
> it's only on the database repository or for all types of repositories or
> what).
>
> The areas were we don't need MimeMessage at all are during SMTP receive,
> SMTP delivery, and POP retrieval.  We're using MimeMessage because it's a
> easy, but it'd be a lot more efficient (speed, memory, everything) if we
> were using streams to do this and possibly doing some small verification of
> the format.

+1 Agree completely

> I don't really have time, but thought I'd bring this up if anybody else was
> thinking about it.

Alas, this also applies to me! There's also several other thing that
need sorting.

Charles

Re: proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
[...]

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 11:40  15/5/01 -0700, Harmeet Bedi wrote:
>I think James would be richer if it had SMTP AUTH support. It seems to be a
>well supported extension and could be useful.
>The RFC is at http://www.innosoft.com/rfc/rfc2554.html
>Some industry support for this at
>http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/client.html and
>http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/server.html
>
>What do you think ?

+1

Cheers,

Pete

proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Posted by Alec Yu <al...@eland.com.tw>.
I've developed 2 mailets to allow authentication via SMTP service extension of "AUTH LOGIN";
but the mailet reqires cooperation of some modified code in org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler.

One of these 2 mailets named "AuthLogin", checks if the mail sending user logged in as some JAMES user;
the other, named "AuthNotLogin", checks if the mail sending user not logged as some JAMES user.

To allow your users to send mail with Outlook/Outlook express SMTP login feature,
what you need to do is to change the spam check matcher from NotInNetwork to
AuthNotLogin.