Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2018/08/16 05:57:09 UTC

creating a spreadsheet (was: new cool feature)

Hi Archie,

Welcome to OpenOffice. I whish you a lot of fun with the Software.

There are lots of possible ways to make your live easier.

I would recommend to use our forums or users mailing list to ask
questions on ways what you want to do.

I think there are all the features you do expect, but it is made
differently then you might think.

I have quickly exchanged the Postcode and the Miles with a lookup
function, I would use. But there is an issue. Can someone else have a
look? I do not find what I did wrong.

I loop in users for better support. Sorry, got to go. I am late for work
... :S

HTH

Peter

Re: creating a spreadsheet (was: new cool feature)

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
I changed the LOOKUP() function in columns D and E to be a VLOOKUP() with
the fourth parameter set to 0 so the function looks for an exact match. The
LOOKUP() function requires that the lookup vector be ordered. Since column
A of the Database sheet is not ordered, incorrect results were returned.
I fixed the formulas in column I to have the form
=H4-G4 + (G4 >H4)
This accounts for cases where the end time (H4) has a smaller clock value
(e.g. 07:00) than the start time (e.g. 19:00) but is in the next day. Times
are stored in units of days. The time 07:00 has the value 7/24 and the time
19:00 has the value 19/24. You were subtracting
7/24 - 19/24 = -12/24 = -0.5
If a cell is formatted as time, -0.5 is displayed as12:00, but the value is
still -0.5.
I appended
+ (G4 > H4)
which returns FALSE (equal to zero) when H4 is larger than or equal to G4.
When G4 is larger than H4, it returns TRUE (equal to one) that gives
H4-G4 + (G4 >H4) = 7/24 - 19/24 + (19/24 > 7/24) = -0.5 + (TRUE) = -0.5 + 1
= 0.5
The 0.5, when formatted as time, is 12:00 and it is the desired answer.
This is not a bug. All spreadsheets treat times as fractions of a day.

As Peter says, it is better to get help on the forum or the user list.

Francis

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.

Re: creating a spreadsheet

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.
First of all Cells can only be filled by User Input or by entering a
Formula in the Cell.

It is your task to select the formula that best fit your requirements.

I have attached a modified Calc file it use Named Ranges with can be
used in the Lookup table.

You need to read some books or wiki pages on spreadsheets.

What I see is that you use From Times which are Greater that the To
Times, which gives negative values

I can't believe that you pay customers if you work from 19:00 till 7:00
the next morning, so you should calculate From Date Time till To Date
Time values.