Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/02/17 05:10:05 UTC

Documentation todo list

I know, this is what the STATUS doc is for, and I'll add these there if
folks seem to think that they are worthy of spending time on.

What follows is my todo list for Apache documentation. The thing is,
these items have been on my todo list for several months now, and I post
them here in case of the not-so-unlikely event that I will not get to
them any time this year.

* Directive examples. This is the one that I have accomplished the most
on. The goal here is to have an example for every directive in the
documentation, except those where the SYNTAX section lists all possible
examples.

* .htaccess docs. I'm not even completely sure what this means, but
there seems to be a desire for a document that states what you can do
with .htaccess files. Might include a listing of what directives you can
put in a .htaccess file, although I'm not sure that's a good idea - one
more place to maintain such a list.

* public_html docs. Again, it is not clear that this warrants a separate
document, but I've received more than one request for a doc that talks
about what is necessary to have users run content out their home dir,
including stuff like cgi execution, .htaccess stuff, and perhaps suexec.
This, as well as the .htaccess doc, is mostly a tutorial-style thing,
with a lot of links to existing docs.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org

Re: Documentation todo list

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> * Directive examples. This is the one that I have accomplished the most
> on. The goal here is to have an example for every directive in the
> documentation, except those where the SYNTAX section lists all possible
> examples.

+1

> * .htaccess docs. I'm not even completely sure what this means, but
> there seems to be a desire for a document that states what you can do
> with .htaccess files. Might include a listing of what directives you can
> put in a .htaccess file, although I'm not sure that's a good idea - one
> more place to maintain such a list.

The index of everything that can go in .htaccess files should be possible
(in 2.0) once we have them xml-ized.  We can even sort it and say "These
directives are available with AllowOverride Fileinfo", etc.

As far as additional documentation, we can either choose to expand on
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html#htaccess
or add a separate doc.  Last time this was brought up, Ken objected to
including everything in the docs if there are good external documentation
sources, but I think that at least a little more docs on .htaccess would
be good.

> * public_html docs. Again, it is not clear that this warrants a separate
> document, but I've received more than one request for a doc that talks
> about what is necessary to have users run content out their home dir,
> including stuff like cgi execution, .htaccess stuff, and perhaps suexec.
> This, as well as the .htaccess doc, is mostly a tutorial-style thing,
> with a lot of links to existing docs.

Again, this could possibly be an expansion of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/urlmapping.html#user
but it sounds like you are talking about more of a tutorial.

Go ahead and add this stuff to the STATUS file(s) when you get a chance.

Joshua.