Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Chris Cheung <ch...@clc.cuhk.edu.hk> on 2004/06/11 05:55:36 UTC

Appreciation

Hi Jason,

  Also, just want to let you know that I appreciate your voluntary work.
We are actual using Xerces-Perl in a commercial project, which will be put
into production in 1 or 2 months.

Xerces-Perl is good as it enables Perl applications directly access the
Xerces-C ability to perform validation against schema, apart from parsing
and serialization. (It seems that libxml2, which also has a Perl wrapper,
does not do validation so well.) However, the memory leak problem (during
parsing even if validation is turned off, and during serialization) is
hindering the project to use Xerces in a more large-scale way.

--
Best Regards,

Chris Cheung

Re: Appreciation

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Steven N. Hirsch" <hi...@btv.ibm.com> writes:

> It would also be great to find out why exception handling does not operate
> reliably under AIX.  It is not a showstopper for daily use (or, at least,
> has not been to date) but results in chronic regression test failures.
>
> I have taken several time-consuming stabs at isolating the problem, but
> have run into serious difficulties in getting the AIX debugger to load and
> trace test execution.  If anyone from IBM compiler tools feels motivated,
> I think this needs someone a bit more clueful than I working at it.

Ok, I've just sent another note to the Xerces-C group at IBM in
toronto. I'll keep after them until I hear something positive.

Steve, ping me on this every week or so if you don't hear back, and
I'll keep checking with them.

> Otherwise, I'll add my voice to those thanking Jason for his tireless
> work.  A hearty "Way to Go!".

Thanks, I wish I could say my work is tireless, but mostly I feel lazy
for not putting more time into the project.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Appreciation

Posted by "Steven N. Hirsch" <hi...@btv.ibm.com>.
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> There are a few issues. This is the long term list:
>
> 1) Get 2.5 building out of the box. Right now there are two methods
>    being wrapped by SWIG that won't compile - I need to add an %ignore
>    directive so that SWIG skips those two methods. This *should* be
>    simple, but I wasn't able to do it in the short time I had
>    available.
>
> 2) Fix the *huge* memory leaks. XML-Xerces needs to be usable for
>    long-running processes like mod_perl, and there are huge leaks
>    coming from somewhere. If someone with valgrind or purify can
>    locate these I will patch them.
>
> 3) Fix the horrible icky multiple inheritance hack I added for 2.0 to
>    make the DOMNode hierarchy work properly. I need the help of
>    someone who is more C++ savvy than I am to debug why the SWIG
>    wrapping of the multiply inherited DOMNode methods are breaking
>    unless I do an icky pointer cast from Perl.
>
> 4) Document the system. The only documents are the Doxygen C++
>    docs. Most Perl programmers shouldn't be forced to learn C++ to
>    fully understand the system.

It would also be great to find out why exception handling does not operate
reliably under AIX.  It is not a showstopper for daily use (or, at least,
has not been to date) but results in chronic regression test failures.

I have taken several time-consuming stabs at isolating the problem, but
have run into serious difficulties in getting the AIX debugger to load and
trace test execution.  If anyone from IBM compiler tools feels motivated,
I think this needs someone a bit more clueful than I working at it.

Otherwise, I'll add my voice to those thanking Jason for his tireless
work.  A hearty "Way to Go!".

Steve

Re: Appreciation

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Lincoln A. Baxter" <la...@lincolnbaxter.com> writes:

> Since we are appreciating... let me add my appreciation.
>
> At work (A major Financial Institution) we are using XML-Xerces (where
> before we had used expat), because we wanted a _validating_ parser, for
> a particular project.  It worked great. It was only a minor annoyance
> that the current version is 'old' (2.3).

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks! It's great to know that it is being used!

Honestly, it is dificult for me at times to continue with the project
- I feel like I am the only person interested in it - I know this is
*not* true - without help from many people we would not have the
system working on Windows or OS X, for example.

So knowing that people use XML-Xerces and want to see it continued
really helps.

> At home, I created and submitted a Gentoo Linux portage ebuild for
> XML-Xerces, but by the time they got around to looking at it, their
> standard Xerces (had moved on to 2.4), and it would nolonger build
> without a downgrade, so they rejected it with the note I that I could
> reopen the bugzilla ticket, if I had an ebuild that would work against
> 2.4. or 2.5.  I had to hack my system to keep portage from upgrading
> Xerces (and breaking XML-Xerces).  So I would love to see a version
> built against a more recent xerces-c.  I promise that I will upgrade the
> ebuild, and resubmit, if an new version is made available.

In the meantime, I *did* release a version of XML-Xerces for 2.4, and
I put it in the nightly builds section of the download page.

If you search the mailing list archives you should find a few messages
with the URL if you can't find it on your own (my 'net connection is
down at the moment, so I can't find it for you).

> What is left to do?

There are a few issues. This is the long term list:

1) Get 2.5 building out of the box. Right now there are two methods
   being wrapped by SWIG that won't compile - I need to add an %ignore
   directive so that SWIG skips those two methods. This *should* be
   simple, but I wasn't able to do it in the short time I had
   available.

2) Fix the *huge* memory leaks. XML-Xerces needs to be usable for
   long-running processes like mod_perl, and there are huge leaks
   coming from somewhere. If someone with valgrind or purify can
   locate these I will patch them.

3) Fix the horrible icky multiple inheritance hack I added for 2.0 to
   make the DOMNode hierarchy work properly. I need the help of
   someone who is more C++ savvy than I am to debug why the SWIG
   wrapping of the multiply inherited DOMNode methods are breaking
   unless I do an icky pointer cast from Perl.

4) Document the system. The only documents are the Doxygen C++
   docs. Most Perl programmers shouldn't be forced to learn C++ to
   fully understand the system.

For the short term, only 1) needs to be done. For the medium term 1)
and 2) need to be done.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Appreciation