Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Cairo Noleto <ca...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/23 14:26:16 UTC

CouchDB Timeout

Hi, I have a database with 25000 docs, with more or less 512 MB, and I have
a design doc with 7 views. So, my problem is that is very slow to index this
documents. I use to access the database the couchrest rubygem and I receive
RestClient::Timeout

When I access the design docs views via futon, I need wait a 10 minutes
before to see the docs. I believe the database is too small to have these
problems.

So, anybody can help me?!

--
Cairo Noleto 
Visits http://www.caironoleto.com/

Re: CouchDB Timeout

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.
Hi,

Views are built on-demand, when you send your first query. It can take a long
time indeed and clients can impose a time out which will indeed trigger if
it's set lower than the time needed to actually build the view.

You can either build the views on-update or not use a time out value in your
client.

Cheers,

On Friday 23 April 2010 14:26:16 Cairo Noleto wrote:
> Hi, I have a database with 25000 docs, with more or less 512 MB, and I have
> a design doc with 7 views. So, my problem is that is very slow to index
>  this documents. I use to access the database the couchrest rubygem and I
>  receive RestClient::Timeout
>
> When I access the design docs views via futon, I need wait a 10 minutes
> before to see the docs. I believe the database is too small to have these
> problems.
>
> So, anybody can help me?!

Markus Jelsma - Technisch Architect - Buyways BV
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17
050-8536620 / 06-50258350

Re: CouchDB Timeout

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
you are getting timeouts every time? this is very odd, since views are only build once and are getting incrementally updated. accessing a fully builded view should be very fast.

also be aware, that all views in a design document are processed as a unit.

the speed of view generation depends on many factors. If you provide us with some more information (like couchdb version, ddoc code, ...) we might be able to help you :)

Re: CouchDB Timeout

Posted by Cairo Noleto <ca...@gmail.com>.
Markus, I follow that link and I received this error:

[Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:49:43 GMT] [error] [<0.3713.0>] Update notification
process <0.4217.0> died: {exit_status,127}

[Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:49:43 GMT] [error] [<0.4179.0>] {error_report,<0.30.0>,
    {<0.4179.0>,supervisor_report,
     [{supervisor,{local,couch_db_update_notifier_sup}},
      {errorContext,child_terminated},
      {reason,normal},
      {offender,
          [{pid,<0.4216.0>},
           {name,"view_updater"},
           {mfa,
               {couch_db_update_notifier,start_link,
                   ["/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/view_updater.rb"]}},
           {restart_type,permanent},
           {shutdown,1000},
           {child_type,supervisor}]}]}}

[Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:49:43 GMT] [error] [<0.4221.0>] OS Process died with
status: 127

[Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:49:43 GMT] [error] [<0.4221.0>] ** Generic server
<0.4221.0> terminating
** Last message in was {#Port<0.4067>,{exit_status,127}}
** When Server state ==
{os_proc,"/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/view_updater.rb",
                                 #Port<0.4067>,
                                 #Fun<couch_os_process.0.132953560>,
                                 #Fun<couch_os_process.1.15901032>,5000}
** Reason for termination ==