Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Dewey Dunnington <de...@voltrondata.com.INVALID> on 2023/01/02 16:28:37 UTC

Pre-release feedback for 'nanoarrow'

Hi all,

Following a discussion on the arrow-dev list a few months ago [1], I spent
some time over the past few months building the 'nanoarrow' library [2]
with considerable contributions from David Li and others in the Arrow
developer community. The focus of the library is producing and consuming
Arrow C Data interface structures using a small (50 kb static library),
vendorable (distributed as nanoarrow.h/nanoarrow.c) C library, with the
primary target for development so far being Arrow Database Connectivity
(ADBC) drivers.

For a more detailed look at the scope and usage of 'nanoarrow', I've
prepared a blog post [3] (rendered at [4]) and preliminary API
documentation for the C/C++ library [5][6] and R package [7].

For the purposes of getting feedback from the Arrow user community, I'd
like to make an initial '0.1' release of the nanoarrow C library and R
package in late January/early February. There have also been experiments
with Python bindings and an IPC reader/writer but these may not be ready
for the first release.

I'd be grateful for any feedback - before or after the initial release -
that users or developers have to offer!

(Cross-posted in the user@ list as well [8])

-dewey

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/6vt7btpbrkm554otxqz7oxzdlpfwkhwc
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow-nanoarrow
[3] https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/288
[4]
https://github.com/paleolimbot/arrow-site/blob/nanoarrow-intro-post/_posts/2022-12-14-nanoarrow.md
[5] https://apache.github.io/arrow-nanoarrow/dev/c.html
[6] https://apache.github.io/arrow-nanoarrow/dev/cpp.html
[7] https://apache.github.io/arrow-nanoarrow/dev/r/index.html
[8] https://lists.apache.org/thread/2qgm0zwl8nv2lv90ho4q1tqsl0oddqqy

Re: Pre-release feedback for 'nanoarrow'

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
Can you make sure that it adheres to ASF branding guidelines? As an ASF project its name should be “Apache Nanoarrow” and it should define itself in terms of its relationship with “Apache Arrow”.

Julian