Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Maros Ivanco <ma...@datalan.sk> on 2006/01/24 17:36:06 UTC

access rights

Hi,

 I try to implement acces rights mechanism on the top of the lucene. My
situation looks like this: Indexed documents have associated access rights
information. When I construct the query, I append a part, which matches
actual user identity with access rights in the documents. This way the user
gets only the documents s/he can really access, and the number of hits is
really the number of documents s/he can potentionally access. The approach
works (it respects access rights), but the access rights (AR) query part
also affects the score of the documents. I tried two approaches to avoid
the effect of AR query part. First, I tried to set boost factor of the AR
fields during the document indexation to zero. This way I was unable to get
any results. Next, I set boost factor of the AR fields to small number
(0.001). This way I get the results but the computed score is really small
(less then 1%) for the first document in the results.
So, is there any possibility to effectivelly exclude certain fields from
score computation?
Any idea regarding the access rights issue, suggestion for better approach,
... is welcome.

Maros.

P.S.
I found this post on the user list:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/14973?do=post_view_threaded

My approach is the number 3 in the post, but unfortunately no reply deal
with it.

Re: access rights

Posted by John Haxby <jc...@scalix.com>.
I'd suggest using a QueryFilter.

What happens when the access rights for a document or a collection of
documents change?    How do you deal with new users?   I'm asking
because I'm looking at the same problem but rather than attempting to
keep the access rights in the index consistent with the access rights in
the original store, I'm looking at using a QueryFilter that checks the
original document for access.   It's slow, but it can be cached.   This
question probably belongs on java-user though.

jch

Re: access rights

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Dienstag 24 Januar 2006 17:36, Maros Ivanco wrote:

> Next, I set boost factor of the AR fields to small number
> (0.001).

It's okay to set boost to 0. In QueryParser syntax: field:value^0

BTW, these kind of questions belong to the user list more than to the
developer list.

Regards
 Daniel

--