Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl> on 2003/09/01 08:31:45 UTC

limited svn update

Hello,

I've just started svn and now run into this... I wonder how to deal with it.

I've imported a *large* (about 230MB) vendor tree into subversion. That
took a long time on 0.27.
Now I've tagged that, so basically in the repo there is this:
..../3rdparty/ACE/current
..../3rdparty/ACE/someversion
I've created someversion by copying from URL to URL, since I'm not
really interested in getting someversion on disk. So on disk I have a
complete ACE/current.

Now I have two questions.
1. how cvan I limit other people from getting someversion (since this is
the vendor tree, most people would not be interested in this).
2. how can I (in my wc) get the someversion directory without actually
getting all of it? I just want to be able to see that it exists, without
having all its contents.

As for #2, I've tried (in 3rdparty/ACE) to do a non-recursive update
(svn up -N .), but that does not create the someversion directory.
I've tried a non recursive update of the someversion directory (svn -N
up someversion), but that results in a very cryptic message: svn:
warning: svn_wc_is_wc_root: 'someversion' is not a versioned resource)

I was hoping it would be possible to extract (limit) update to only
update the directory structure, without fetching any files. Something
along these lines:
svn up --dirs-only
And then later, when interested get the files with a regular update.

Or limit the treedepth:
svn up --maxdepth 3

-- Jan Evert

Re: limited svn update

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 10:31 AM +0200 9/1/03, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've just started svn and now run into this... I wonder how to deal with it.
>
>I've imported a *large* (about 230MB) vendor tree into subversion.
>That took a long time on 0.27.
>Now I've tagged that, so basically in the repo there is this:
>..../3rdparty/ACE/current
>..../3rdparty/ACE/someversion
>I've created someversion by copying from URL to URL, since I'm not
>really interested in getting someversion on disk. So on disk I have
>a complete ACE/current.
>
>Now I have two questions.
>1. how cvan I limit other people from getting someversion (since
>this is the vendor tree, most people would not be interested in
>this).

This is the sort of thing that the "trunk/tags/branches" idea is
about.  You haven't shown complete URLs, so maybe you already have
those directories up in "...", but from the sound of your questions,
I think you should organize your repository something like this:

http://host/svn/3rdparty/ACE/trunk/stuff/from/your/current
http://host/svn/3rdparty/ACE/tags/someversion/stuff/from/your/someversion

With this arrangement, your users get
http://host/svn/3rdparty/ACE/trunk, and not "someversion" of it.

--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: limited svn update

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
> Tobias,
>
> Thanks for this, but what's mod_authz_svn?

I don't think that there's anything in the book yet, but there's an
excellent INSTALL file in the source tree:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL

The module gets installed by default in recent releases.

/Tobias

Re: limited svn update

Posted by Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl>.
Tobias,

Thanks for this, but what's mod_authz_svn?
And yes, the users should be using the right URL. But there are some
that need to maintain ACE... and getting one version of it takes
(currently) 13 minutes. Not something you'd like to do accidentally.

Yeah, I found svn ls in the meantime as well. Still, I'd like to get
this on disk as well...
Personally I find it inconsistent that 'svn -N up' does create files in
the current directory, but not subdirectories.

-- Jan Evert

Re: limited svn update

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.