Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by ws...@apache.org on 2006/01/24 05:28:39 UTC

svn commit: r371806 - /struts/sandbox/trunk/archetypes/shale-blank/

Author: wsmoak
Date: Mon Jan 23 20:28:33 2006
New Revision: 371806

Log:
Copied the Shale Blank webapp for conversion into a Maven 2 archetype.

Added:
    struts/sandbox/trunk/archetypes/shale-blank/
      - copied from r371805, struts/shale/trunk/blank/

Re: svn commit: r371806 - /struts/sandbox/trunk/archetypes/shale-blank/

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Wendy ... if anything ever turns me into a Mavenite, it will
> probably be this feature :-).

This one isn't finished yet... but the archetypes *are* nice, I agree. :)

> If this is difficult/impossible to arrange with Maven I'm open to
> other ideas, but I need to start adding some more examples and still
> want to minimize the size of the download that contains only the
> framework stuff (which looks like it'll be around 1.5mb for the tar.gz
> version and 2.8mb for the zip version).

Do what you need to do, and I'll make sure the Maven 1 build can at
least create the website.  I'm not planning to try to reproduce the
all of the release artifacts though.

I'll check in some m2 repository poms for Shale in a few days.  These
aren't intended to build the project, they just list the project
information and dependencies.  Then we can install the Ant-built jars
and poms into the snapshot repository with 'mvn deploy:deploy-file'.
That will make the archetypes and transitive dependencies work with
m2.

I'm not using the m1 build anymore except for the website, so unless I
hear from users who want it maintained, it will probably continue to
diverge from the Ant build.  At some point we can look at what it
would take to convert to Maven 2, but IMO it's not quite ready yet.

--
Wendy

Re: svn commit: r371806 - /struts/sandbox/trunk/archetypes/shale-blank/

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, wsmoak@apache.org <ws...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: wsmoak
> Date: Mon Jan 23 20:28:33 2006
> New Revision: 371806

> Log:
> Copied the Shale Blank webapp for conversion into a Maven 2 archetype.

Thanks Wendy ... if anything ever turns me into a Mavenite, it will
probably be this feature :-).

Just a heads up, on a different topic, though ... I'm going to be
doing some refactoring on the way that the Ant builds create artifacts
for the nightlies and future releases:

* shale-framework-YYYYMMDD.{tar.gz,zip} - All the sources and
  javadocs for everything, plus the JAR files for the libraries
  (shale-{clay,core,remoting,spring,test,tiles}.jar).

* shale-dependencies-YYYYMMDD.{tar.gz,zip} - A snapshot of the
  "lib" directory that "ant download-dependencies" creates, for folks
  who can't or don't want to grab them the usual way.

* shale-XXXXX-YYYYMMDD.war - A web application archive
  for each appication (incudng its own dependencies).  Sources
  will be in the overall framework artifact.

The idea is that it doesn't scale to package multiple war files in the
overall release artifact with roughly 3mb of duplicated ibraries.
This way, you'll be able to download just the WARs you are interested
in.  Of course, you can also build them yourself from the sources in
the framework artifact.

If this is difficult/impossible to arrange with Maven I'm open to
other ideas, but I need to start adding some more examples and still
want to minimize the size of the download that contains only the
framework stuff (which looks like it'll be around 1.5mb for the tar.gz
version and 2.8mb for the zip version).

Craig