Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2007/09/20 11:17:02 UTC

Javadocs

I also use this release to publish our docs. I wonder now whether I should add
the Javadocs to our docs or not. For the spring-configurator and and
configuration-api I've added them because they are subprojects but I'm not sure
if it is the best idea to add the javadocs of our core modules and the blocks to
SVN either. The problem is that they take up a lot of space and make a checkout
of our site really slow.

OTOH if we don't generate them using Maven and then add them to our SVN I don't
know how we can do it in a confortable way.

Any ideas or opinions?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> But now I run into another problem: When I use the find/xargs command,
>> the working directory is the directory where I entered this command
>> and not the directory where the create-apidocs.sh script is located.
>> Is there a way to set the working directory the way I have expected it?
>
> Yep. Put this script say in your home dir, name it 'x.sh' and make it
> executable:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   cd `dirname $1`
>   # Both "sh $1" and ". $1" should work
>   . $1
>
>  From your home dir (where x.sh is):
>
>   find /x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2 -name "create-apidocs.sh" | grep
> apidocs/ | xargs -n 1 ./x.sh

thanks, works like a charm!

> Alternatively you can put cd `dirname $1` in each of create-apidocs.sh
> but I figured you'd want to avoid this :)

:-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> But now I run into another problem: When I use the find/xargs command,
> the working directory is the directory where I entered this command and
> not the directory where the create-apidocs.sh script is located. Is
> there a way to set the working directory the way I have expected it?

Yep. Put this script say in your home dir, name it 'x.sh' and make it executable:

   #!/bin/sh
   cd `dirname $1`
   # Both "sh $1" and ". $1" should work
   . $1

 From your home dir (where x.sh is):

   find /x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2 -name "create-apidocs.sh" | grep apidocs/
| xargs -n 1 ./x.sh

Alternatively you can put cd `dirname $1` in each of create-apidocs.sh but I
figured you'd want to avoid this :)

Vadim

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> thanks. The command seems to work but I have a problem to execute the
>> script because David is the owner and neither chown nor chmod are
>> permitted using my account:
>>
>> /x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs
>>  > ls -lsa
>> total 14
>>  2 drwxrwxr-x  3 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 .
>>  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 ..
>>  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 27 14:33 .svn
>>  2 -rw-rw-r--  1 crossley  cocoon   581 Sep 26 17:08 create-apidocs.sh
>
> You don't need chmod/chown; permissions are looking fine as it is. But
> when I try to run it, I get an error:
>
>   vgritsenko@minotaur
> /x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs $
> bash create-apidocs.sh
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------
>   Creating JavaDocs for cocoon-pipeline-api:1.0.0-RC2
>   create-apidocs.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
>   create-apidocs.sh: line 9: `else'
>

> When I fixed both if/then/else:
>
>   if [ ! -f $f ]
>   then
>     wget --header "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Firefox/2.0.0.7"
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/$jd
>     dl=1
>   fi

This seems to be subtle difference between shell script interpreters:

find . -name "create-apidocs.sh" | grep apidocs | xargs sh

works fine without having to change the if/then/else syntax.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> thanks. The command seems to work but I have a problem to execute the
> script because David is the owner and neither chown nor chmod are
> permitted using my account:
>
> /x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs
>  > ls -lsa
> total 14
>  2 drwxrwxr-x  3 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 .
>  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 ..
>  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 27 14:33 .svn
>  2 -rw-rw-r--  1 crossley  cocoon   581 Sep 26 17:08 create-apidocs.sh

You don't need chmod/chown; permissions are looking fine as it is. But when I
try to run it, I get an error:

   vgritsenko@minotaur
/x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs $ bash
create-apidocs.sh
   Creating JavaDocs for cocoon-pipeline-api:1.0.0-RC2
   create-apidocs.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
   create-apidocs.sh: line 9: `else'

When I fixed both if/then/else:

   if [ ! -f $f ]
   then
     wget --header "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Firefox/2.0.0.7"
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/$jd
     dl=1
   fi

It was working fine:

vgritsenko@minotaur
/x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs $ bash
create-apidocs.sh
Creating JavaDocs for cocoon-pipeline-api:1.0.0-RC2
--15:33:08--
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-pipeline-api/1.0.0-RC2/cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar
            => `cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar'
Resolving repo1.maven.org... 63.246.20.112
Connecting to repo1.maven.org|63.246.20.112|:80... connected.
15:33:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.

--15:33:08--
http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-pipeline-api/1.0.0-RC2/cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar
            => `cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar'
Resolving people.apache.org... 140.211.11.9
Connecting to people.apache.org|140.211.11.9|:80... connected.
Length: 362,072 (354K) [application/java-archive]

100%[=======================================================================================================================================>]
362,072       --.--K/s

15:33:08 (41.75 MB/s) - `cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar' saved
[362072/362072]

vgritsenko@minotaur
/x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs $ ls
META-INF/                                       help-doc.html
                 overview-tree.html
allclasses-frame.html                           index-all.html
                 package-list
allclasses-noframe.html                         index.html
                 packages
cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-RC2-javadoc.jar       options
                 packages.html
constant-values.html                            org/
                 resources/
create-apidocs.sh                               overview-frame.html
                 serialized-form.html
deprecated-list.html                            overview-summary.html
                 stylesheet.css

Vadim

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure; what's the script name / name pattern?
>>
>> It will be located in apidocs/create-apidocs.sh
>
> This will do it:
>
>   find . -name "create-apidocs.sh" | grep apidocs | xargs bash

thanks. The command seems to work but I have a problem to execute the script
because David is the owner and neither chown nor chmod are permitted using my
account:

/x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/pipeline-api/1.0/apidocs
 > ls -lsa
total 14
  2 drwxrwxr-x  3 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 .
  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 26 17:08 ..
  2 drwxrwxr-x  6 crossley  cocoon   512 Sep 27 14:33 .svn
  2 -rw-rw-r--  1 crossley  cocoon   581 Sep 26 17:08 create-apidocs.sh
  6 -rw-rw-r--  1 crossley  cocoon  5385 Sep 26 17:08 index.html

(When I copy the script into my home directory, it works fine.)

Can anybody help?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>> It will be located in apidocs/create-apidocs.sh
>> This will do it:
>>
>>   find . -name "create-apidocs.sh" | grep apidocs | xargs bash
>
> Well, the grep wouldn't do anything helpfull, right ;-)

Just to enforce a contract :)

Vadim

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> I also use this release to publish our docs. I wonder now whether I
>> should add the Javadocs to our docs or not. For the
>> spring-configurator and and configuration-api I've added them because
>> they are subprojects but I'm not sure if it is the best idea to add
>> the javadocs of our core modules and the blocks to SVN either. The
>> problem is that they take up a lot of space and make a checkout of our
>> site really slow.
>
> Add javadocs to the website - yes, into svn - no.
>

>> OTOH if we don't generate them using Maven and then add them to our
>> SVN I don't know how we can do it in a comfortable way.
>
> Traditionally, one would unzip javadocs from a copy of a release on a
> website into 'apidocs' directory, and that'd be all. In such a setup,
> even if javadocs are not in svn, they can be easily restored by getting
> release off archive.apache.org and unzipping it.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/site/2.1/apidocs/README.txt

The problem is that there are 40+ release artifacts now and doing it this way is
very inconvenient.Maybe I should to write a Maven report which creates only the
menu entry and an apidocs directory. I could put a script into this directory
which downloads the zipped javadocs archive from the central Maven repository
and unzip it then.

Re: Javadocs

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.