Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/13 23:36:53 UTC

Database support

Hi,
I'm trolling...  I'm looking for ideas on how we can better integrate with
the various database vendors.  Many of us committers have our own "favorite"
databases due to our employers' needs.  But, what about the MySQL, or
Postgres, or SQL Server, or pick your favorite databases?  I know we have
had some interest from these database vendors on our users and dev forums,
but I'm looking for ways to get these vendors more involved.  When they
produce a new version of their database, it would be great to announce
OpenJPA support.  And, if they have new features to take advantage of, that
would be even better.

Everybody's development and tests teams are limited.  I understand that.
But, I'm looking for ideas on how we can work together to accomplish this
task.  I'm going to cross post on both users and dev forums to see if there
any lurkers that might have some ideas.

Just to provide a real world example...  I was just pinged about MS SQL
Server 2008 support.  Our OpenJPA manual only documents SQL Server 2005
support.  I don't have experience with SQL Server.  So, it made me think how
we could improve this aspect of our OpenJPA database support.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Re: Database support

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Ravi,
Volunteers for each database could be an alternative.  Maybe volunteering
for database support would be a new requirement for committers?  :-)  Like
in your case, you seem to have a vested interest in Oracle.  And, I tend
towards DB2 and Derby.  But, what do we do about other mainstream databases
that don't have committers on our project?  I wonder if soliciting on some
of these other sites would help?

Maybe a wiki page outlining the current database support along with the
OpenJPA Point of Contact would be a good first step?

Still soliciting ideas...

Thanks,
Kevin

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Ravi Palacherla <ravi.palacherla@oracle.com

Re: Database support

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Ravi,

RE: Database support

RE: Database support

Re: OpenJPA for Content Servers

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sriram,

It largely depends on how you communicate with docbase. JPA (typically)
interacts with JDBC, if there's a JDBC interface to the docbase you're using
then it will be fairly straightforward to use a JPA provider to do the
interactions.

If there isn't a JDBC driver for docbase then it's more difficult. OpenJPA
supports different back ends, but you'd have to write a fair bit of code to
talk to docbase's interface.

hope this helps,
-mike

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shriram <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: Database support

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Okay, so I'm looking at our stated database support [1].  From this chart, I
would divide up the databases into the following categories.  The "Not
Currently Covered" category is where I would focus my phishing efforts
first.  Any discussion?

Covered Interest by members of OpenJPA Community
=======================================
o  Derby
o  DB2
o  Informix
o  Oracle
o  MS SQL Server ???
o  Sybase ???

Not Currently Covered Interest by members of OpenJPA Community
o  MySQL
o  PostgreSQL
o  H2
o  HSQLDB (Hypersonic)