Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Kurt Olsen <ko...@ezrez.com> on 2005/09/16 23:42:58 UTC

compatability problems

Hi Folks,

As you continue axis development I wanted to share the experience the
developers at our co. are having with axis.

We're sorry to report that even though axis is a powertool, and we like it -
we are about '' that close to abandoning it when communicating with soap
services due to compatability issues when doing system upgrades etc.

For a long time our application server was/is coldfusion, which includes
axis. We are in the process of migrating off of coldfusion into a jboss
environment but we're moving the server side code first, and before long
we'll be completely off of coldfusion.

Meanwhile, every time we have to go thru a systems evolution we have to
fight, and fight hard with the axis stuff.

All manner of incompatability problems. I know there aren't easy solutions
to this kind of thing but there it is.

Out of the 20 something jars scattered about in our system the majority of
them interoperate/upgrade with few or no difficultions.

Axis unfortunately stands out as something that keeps biting back, and ends
up causing us a lot of difficulty when things change.

None of us here is an axis expert per-se, we just want to use it to make our
lives easier, but these compatability issues have irritated most everyone
here, and we've been yanking axis out of the system...

This isn't meant as a criticism per-se, but hopefully this feedback from the
field can be used when going forward with your development.

Thanks for listening,

Kurt

RE: compatability problems

Posted by Kurt Olsen <ko...@ezrez.com>.
Thank you Davanum, I'm continuing to work on the upgrade this morning and
sincerely appreciate the feedback. I really want our co. to be able to use
Axis and thank you for your help.

#1) Embedded versions of axis (CF or JBoss) are old, you would need to
use latest Axis 1.2.1 on all systems.
#2) SAAJ by definition does not support DOM3 which is present in
latest JDK1.5, so you would need to use xerces 2.6 (and not 2.7 which
has DOM3)

Are there other issues you found?

thanks,
dims

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform

Re: compatability problems

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Kurt,

Am aware of 2 problems...

#1) Embedded versions of axis (CF or JBoss) are old, you would need to
use latest Axis 1.2.1 on all systems.
#2) SAAJ by definition does not support DOM3 which is present in

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform