Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com> on 2016/07/02 18:29:07 UTC

RE: Spelling of Ancient Greek

 >Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:58:34 -0400
> From: luispo@gmail.com
> To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Spelling of Ancient Greek
>

> louis=C2=A0

Which means what?  BTW, let me ask again: Where are the
hyphenation files and how they are created?

A.S.

--
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece

RE: Spelling of Ancient Greek

Posted by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com>.

> > The hyphenation and other formatting information is on the Hunspell site
> > https://hunspell.github.io/

Actually this is the spelling assistant not the hyphenator. This module is
described in the following URL:

https://www.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/hyphenator.html

There I read the following:

You need to put an indicator of the character encoding used
as the first line of the dictionary file (look in hyph_en.dic).

Possible values are: ISO8859-1, ISO8859-2, ..., ISO8859-10, KOI8-R

So in the era of Unicode, OpenOffice insists on using single byte encodings which practically means that
it is impossible to hyphenate ancient Greek text. The reason? You need UTF-8 hyphenation patterns which
of course exist in the TeX world and are used by XeTeX.

A.S.
--
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece

RE: Spelling of Ancient Greek

Posted by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com>.

> The hyphenation and other formatting information is on the Hunspell site
> https://hunspell.github.io/

Thank yoy very much!
A.S.
--