Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/02/05 00:42:24 UTC

mod_include and the proxy

in a five or ten line patch, you can add the ability to mod_include to
include documents on remote servers using the proxy module.

The stumbling block is that sub_req_lookup_uri doesn't contain the right
code to figure out what should be passed to parse_uri and what shouldn't.
It would have to be changed to check if it was a proxyreq I guess.  Just
checking the filename isn't really enough.  Is this a reasonable thing?
Any concept of abstraction of the proxy aside, there still remains a need
for modules to know if there is some proxy available and if they can use
it to implement things like this, so I don't think that dependency is a
bad thing.

Re: mod_include and the proxy

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Marc Slemko wrote:
> > >
> > > in a five or ten line patch, you can add the ability to mod_include to
> > > include documents on remote servers using the proxy module.
> > >
> > > The stumbling block is that sub_req_lookup_uri doesn't contain the right
> > > code to figure out what should be passed to parse_uri and what shouldn't.
> > > It would have to be changed to check if it was a proxyreq I guess.  Just
> > > checking the filename isn't really enough.  Is this a reasonable thing?
> > > Any concept of abstraction of the proxy aside, there still remains a need
> > > for modules to know if there is some proxy available and if they can use
> > > it to implement things like this, so I don't think that dependency is a
> > > bad thing.
> >
> > Wow. Can you? Sounds really neat. I'd like to see the patch. OTOH, I'd
>
> Since you can already do something similar with ProxyPass or mod_rewrite's
> stuff, it makes sense to be able to do it reasonably easy.  I will make a
> patch when I get time.
>
> > like to know that it can still work once we do have some concept of
> > abstraction of the proxy. Nothing like creating
> > difficult-to-support-legacy to make our lives miserable...
>
> If you abstract it to the point of saying the core should not need to know
> a proxy exists, you obviously can't.

Hmmm ... not so sure about that. If the core doesn't need to know it
exists, it may be that whatever is used to hide it can also be used to
hide its existence from mod_include.

> If you agree with the concept that there may be a module that can be
> called to get remote URLs via HTTP or any other method (which may or may
> not be a proxy), it is no problem.  I think that having a way for the core
> and modules to know that some sort of way of fetching remote URLs and to
> have subrequests able to handle it is a good thing.  You want to make the
> interaction between the core and that way of fetching remote URLs better,
> but that is a different matter.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Ben.