Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> on 2002/10/14 21:38:34 UTC

Jetspeed+Soap

Hi since nobody answered to my last post regarding this.
I sucessfully merged Jetspeed and Soap on a binary level (see my last
post) using Axis. I also developed a sample application accessing a soap
service on the net (I found) via Axis and WSDL in a portlet.

(I also have a soap service serviced from my local database layer
which also is accessed by jetspeed in the same webapp)

So far it seems to work quite well. If anyone is interested I will write
everything down and post the info. Just leave a comment in this thread
if you are interested and I will write everything down the next few days.

But what I acutally need is some info from the developers. I got a
little bit butterflies in my stomach, by merging both systems within the
same webapp on a binary level. The problem might be that, I had to
remove the apache soap jar file and the old xalan file from the Jetspeed
lib dir. (Xalan was replaced with the newer build in JDK 1.4.1 and Soap
by the stuff which Axis delivers). So far the system runs really well,
but does anyone of the developers have a clue what sideefects this might
cause in the long term? I assume Xalan shouldn´t pose too much of a
problem since it seems backward compatible, but the problem might be
Soap/Axis. Since they might be used somewhere in the jetspeed
sourcetree. Can anyone of the developers comment on this?

Portlet linking problem

Posted by Łukasz Olek <ol...@hoga.pl>.
Hello!
As I understood a portlet entry must exist in user's psml file to make
linking possible using $jslink.
I do as follows:

        <entry id="P-f0e7834ba4-10001" parent="Meeting">
            <parameter name="_display" value="closed"/>
        </entry>
This entry is added in psml file.

But it doesn't work.
I have a single column controller. The only thing that I managed to do
is linking between items in menu controller with parameter
"_menustate=closed", but it's not enough for me.
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Lukasz Olek

RE: Jetspeed+Soap

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Well, its actually not necessary. It currently does not use Axis or Apache
Soap.
Just plain Java.

I bet we could cut out 100 lines of code if we did convert it!
The original intention was to show how easy (and tedious) SOAP is without a
toolkit.

Re: Jetspeed+Soap

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.

Re: Jetspeed+Soap

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
On Monday 14 October 2002 20:49, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> I agree
>
> > I will post a small example tomorrow evening as well in this thread.
>
> I'd like to take Axis as a jar file, and have an ant deploy task
> automatically merge it into the Jetspeed war.
> (Or if someone has a better solution...)
> We shouldn't be duplicating any Axis files in Jetspeed.
> Look forward to your posting

I'm not sure if that really is a good solution. The problem I saw
was that Axis relies on a load of other Apache libraries. I'm not sure how
problematic the compatiblity of various library versions is.

But doing that might work for certain Jetspeed/Axis combinations
(like it seems to work with 1.4b1/Axis 1.0) but as soon as there is another
major inclusion of a library in Turbine, the whole merge might be problematic
again.

Since I'm not involved in Jakarta projects I'm not really sure how
the project synchronisation is handled, all I could see was that most projects
try to keep downward compatiblity tests by extensive unit testing.

But I think the best thing would be if
axis would be merged in some way into Turbine (where it actually would fit
perfectly into) or at least there should be some kind of coordination between
both projects so that a merge is possible. I don't really like the idea of
having Axis running as a separate webapp only.

RE: Jetspeed+Soap

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: Jetspeed+Soap

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.