Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Douglas Ferguson <do...@epsiia.com> on 2006/08/30 15:38:12 UTC

Can't release due to SNAPSHOT dependencies

I am using some snapshot plugins so it won�t let me release.

I can understand not wanting to release because of a dependency on code
or library snapshots, but for I don�t have any issues with releasing
something that is dependent on a snapshot of a tool, like cargo.

Is there a way around this?

Re: Can't release due to SNAPSHOT dependencies

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/06, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Download the code for the plugin(s) from SVN/CVS.
> Increment the version number to a fixed/released number, build,
> install locally and deploy to your corporate repo (if you have one) or
> provide it to your coworkers some other way.
> Update your pom to reflect the new plugin version number.
>
> Generally I would suggest you incorporate a timestamp into the build
> number ie maven-war-plugin 2.1.20060830 just to keep it clear that
> this is not necessarily a real release.
>
> Make sure you understand the artifact version system before picking a
> build number, or else you could easily end up with a situation where
> the "official" plugin releases a new version but your internal plugin
> is still considered "newer" ie if a plugin last released 2.0.5 and is
> currently releasing 2.1-SNAPSHOT, you might want to tag yours as 2.0.6
> or 2.0.5.1 -- if you tag it as 2.1, then you won't get the "real" 2.1
> release when it is final. (Of course, if the plugin release 2.0.6 then
> you'll get a collision there too...)

I wrote this up here
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Patching+Maven+Plugins

It's what I used to release our team's code which needed snaphot
plugins + patches.

The wiki docs assume the next release is going to match the -SNAPSHOT
version being developed and that a younger release won't sneak in for
some critical reason.

Of course, the docs do warn you that when a release is made that you
need to double check it includes any patches that you manually
applied, as you may need to re-apply them.

Re: Can't release due to SNAPSHOT dependencies

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/06, Dave Hoffer <DH...@xrite.com> wrote:
> Why does it want to connect to 'people.apache.org'?

If you check the pom files you will find that people.apache.org has
been defined as a repository, probably to get access to the SNAPSHOT
of another plugin.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Patching+Maven+Plugins will
walk you through the steps.

Re: Can't release due to SNAPSHOT dependencies

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.
mvn help:effective-pom should help you get a pom that can be tweaked for
corporate deployment.

Doug

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Hoffer <DH...@xrite.com>.
Problem with another option to deploy as well...

I notice that I can use the deploy:deploy-file to deploy an artifact
with an existing pom.  I think this would accomplish the same as the
deploy goal below.

Here is the syntax I used:  mvn deploy:deploy-file
-DpomFile=<path-to-pom> \
        -Dfile=<path-to-file> \
        -DrepositoryId=<id-to-map-on-server-section-of-settings.xml> \
        -Durl=<url-of-the-repositor-to-deploy>

When I execute this, the jar gets deployed just fine.  However the pom
gets deleted from my current directory and I get an error stating that
Error installing metadata: Error rewriting POM

Then it says (The system cannot find the file specified)

Well it deleted the file...how can I fix this?

I have problems with both deploy options....

-dh

P.S. My maven version is 2.0.4.  Do I need to be running a snapshot
version that has this fixed?  Is it an issue that I am deploying
something newer than I am?

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <do...@epsiia.com>.
Thanks.

That makes a lot of sense...

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
We've talked about this before on the list, and this is the generally
suggested approach...

Download the code for the plugin(s) from SVN/CVS.
Increment the version number to a fixed/released number, build,
install locally and deploy to your corporate repo (if you have one) or
provide it to your coworkers some other way.
Update your pom to reflect the new plugin version number.

Generally I would suggest you incorporate a timestamp into the build
number ie maven-war-plugin 2.1.20060830 just to keep it clear that
this is not necessarily a real release.

Make sure you understand the artifact version system before picking a
build number, or else you could easily end up with a situation where
the "official" plugin releases a new version but your internal plugin
is still considered "newer" ie if a plugin last released 2.0.5 and is
currently releasing 2.1-SNAPSHOT, you might want to tag yours as 2.0.6
or 2.0.5.1 -- if you tag it as 2.1, then you won't get the "real" 2.1
release when it is final. (Of course, if the plugin release 2.0.6 then
you'll get a collision there too...)

Wayne

On 8/30/06, Douglas Ferguson <do...@epsiia.com> wrote:
> I am using some snapshot plugins so it won't let me release.
>

> I can understand not wanting to release because of a dependency on code
> or library snapshots, but for I don't have any issues with releasing
> something that is dependent on a snapshot of a tool, like cargo.
>

> Is there a way around this?

RE: Can't release due to SNAPSHOT dependencies

Posted by Da...@tdameritrade.com.
The only way around it that we found was to modify the POM for the
snapshot plugin under question and release it into our team repository.
There is a good reason for not releasing code that has a snapshot
dependency on a plugin, though - the behavior of the plugin could change
resulting in the inability to reproduce the exact same build down the
road.