Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl> on 2007/10/18 14:48:21 UTC

about Struts 2.0.9 portlet example ...

hi all,

I managed to see the examples in the portlet webapp demo (there is no
index page) but I didn't see any portlet anywhere ... so I am curious as
if to there is at all an AJAX portlet control delivered with Struts 2?

Lack of portlets in S2 and AJAxification of displaytag would be the two
main reasons for me to use ajaxtags in addition to S2.
Any alternatives to ajaxtags?

regards,
Giovanni

Re: about Struts 2.0.9 portlet example ...

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik <ni...@gmail.com>.
It is true that inter portlet communication is not supported in the
JSR168 spec, but there are ways to exchange data between portlets in a
less proprietary manner. The easiest way is to use the shared session
scope which is available to all portlets in the same portlet
application (same war file). So if you have portlets that need to
communicate, put them in the same application (which they probably
should anyway, since they obviously have some relation). Without
having tried it, you might also be able to build something on top of a
distributed caching/JMS/database system.

The Portlet 2.0 (JSR 286) specification includes support for inter
portlet communication.

The main advantage using Struts 2 (or any web framework that support
portlets) is that you get a framework on top of the portlet API. I am
not aware of any framework support for the IBM Portlet API (besides a
custom struts framework that really wasn't any good the last time I
tried it), so it would be like programming servlets in a web
application. But still, if you know that inter portlet communication
will be important for your application, and none of the proposed
solutions are good enough for you to use, I guess you don't have a
choice but lock yourself to a vendor.

Nils-H

Posted by Guillaume Bilodeau <gb...@yahoo.com>.
Ok thanks, that's good to know.