Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by William Tyrell x1541 <wt...@tessy.com> on 2018/04/16 12:08:41 UTC

changing the URL/Port on the guacamole server

Hello,

I am running a centos 7 box with guacamole. I cannot figure out how to change the URL, and port on the server. I would love to change it from 8080 to port 80, and change the URL from /guacamole.

Does anyone know how to do this. I have attempted multiple articles online (including their guide which is for Ubuntu) and neither worked.

Thanks,
-Will

________________________________

Please Consider The Environment Before Printing This Email.

________________________________

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for its intended recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Tessy Plastics Corporation.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by email filtering and antivirus software. For any questions regarding this scanning, please forward this email to: infos@tessy.com

Re: changing the URL/Port on the guacamole server

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.
Will, it looks like Nick replied but there was no text here. I'd defer
to his answer but in the meantime:

Not sure what your OS is but in Ubuntu you can change the port number in
the tomcat server.xml file with the line starting <Connector .... If you
OS is different, or you need further help, there are quite a number of

I believe the question regarding the URL was recently answered on this
forum, IIRC you simply change the name of the .war file. The location of
this may also depend on your OS but is likely in your
tomcat_installation_directory/webapps/ deirectory - in essence whatever
you name it will be whatever is contained within your url.

Posted by William Tyrell x1541 <wt...@tessy.com>.
Yea I fixed it. I was pointing to webapps. Dropped it in there. Thank you.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am running a centos 7 box with guacamole. I cannot figure out how to
> change the URL, and port on the server. I would love to change it from 8080
> to port 80, and change the URL from /guacamole.
>

> Does anyone know how to do this. I have attempted multiple articles online
> (including their guide which is for Ubuntu) and neither worked.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Will

For changing the port, you have a couple of options:
- Modify the Tomcat configuration, server.xml, and locate the section where
the port is defined and change it to whatever you'd like it to run on.
Please note that there are security implications to this - in order for a
process, like Tomcat, to listen on privileged ports (< 1024), the process
has to be started with "root" privileges.  Other applications (httpd,
nginx, etc.) have ways of working around this by starting as root and then
lowering to a different effective UID once the port is open, but Tomcat
does not.  This means running Tomcat as root.  It's an option, but a bad
one - don't do it.  The location of the Tomcat configuration will vary
based on how you've installed Tomcat - if you installed from RPM (yum
install tomcat), it's probably in /etc/tomcat or something like that.
- Reverse Proxy your Tomcat install to another web server, like Apache or
Nginx.  This is by far the most common way of accomplishing this, and
allows you not only to change the port but also to easily provide TLS
security to the Guacamole web application.  You can find instructions for
this here: http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/proxying-guacamole.html
- Play firewall games on Linux.  Instead of doing either of the above,
Tomcat can continue to listen on port 80, but you can have the Linux
firewall (iptables) redirect traffic destined for port 80 to port 8080.
The Jenkins Wiki provides a good description of how to do this:
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Running+Jenkins+on+Port+80+or+443+using+iptables

To change the URL path of Guacamole, again, depending on what you want to
do, you have a couple of options:
- Deploy guacamole.war using a different name.  Tomcat deploys using the
name of the WAR file - so, guacamole.war deploys to /guacamole, guac.war
deploys to /guac, etc.  If you want it deployed at the root context (/),
then you should be able to either change the Tomcat configuration or deploy
the war as ROOT.war (must be in caps).
- Using the proxy method mentioned above with httpd or Nginx, you can have
it proxy to a different location.  This usually works, but may not always,
as certain URLs within the web application might still expect the path
where it's deployed, so it's best to do it at the Tomcat level and then
proxy accordingly using the same path.

-Nick