Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk> on 2004/10/21 11:27:07 UTC

is this configuration feasible

I run three mailhubs which scan for spam / virus on all incoming and
(external) outgoing mail for a single domain. Both virus and spam are
done locally on each machine, and so therefore have to be updated /
maintained manually on each. After jsut recently upgrading spam 3.0 on
all 3 hubs and now just about to venture into the bayes options i want
to consolidate the spamassassin into one server, not run on either of
the mailhubs. This will allow me to centralise my baysian filtering and
(as i run a site wide config, with no user pref) tune the specific
filers in local.cf with only VI'ing one file... :D.
What is the recommended setup/ config to max performance and keep the
various overheads as low as poss.. ie net traffic / cpu /ram
requirements of spam server ( which i may try and integrate with the
antivirus..)

The hubs run exim / sophie(SAV) / spam3.0

is there anything else i should take into account...???
thoughts / recommendations please.

thanks

ronan
--
Regards

Ronan McGlue
==============
Analyst/Programmer
Information Services
Queens University Belfast
BT7 1NN

Re: is this configuration feasible

Posted by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk>.
> I run three mailhubs which scan for spam / virus on all incoming and
> (external) outgoing mail for a single domain. Both virus and spam are
> done locally on each machine, and so therefore have to be updated /
> maintained manually on each. After jsut recently upgrading spam 3.0 on
> all 3 hubs and now just about to venture into the bayes options i want
> to consolidate the spamassassin into one server, not run on either of
> the mailhubs. This will allow me to centralise my baysian filtering and
> (as i run a site wide config, with no user pref) tune the specific
> filers in local.cf with only VI'ing one file... :D.
> What is the recommended setup/ config to max performance and keep the
> various overheads as low as poss.. ie net traffic / cpu /ram
> requirements of spam server ( which i may try and integrate with the
> antivirus..)
>
> The hubs run exim / sophie(SAV) / spam3.0
>
> is there anything else i should take into account...???
> thoughts / recommendations please.
>
> thanks
>
> ronan

further to the above is there an option for sa-learn to read remote
mailboxes / folders.
Ie with above configuration mail folders are stored on the mail servers
so would i need to copy over any designated spam/ham folders in a cron
say every 12 hours or is there an option to explicitly tell sa-learn
what to do.???

many thanks

ronan

--