Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by David Alves <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/16 00:15:15 UTC

Multiple patches

Hi

	I have a dev question.
	I made changes for WHIRR-221 and I'm starting to implement WHIRR-214.
	I'd like to use some of the changes I made for WHIRR-221 (those that enable me to completely isolate the bootstrap/configure process for component/unit testing).
	My question is:
	How do you deal with multiple, uncommitted patches that have/use overlapping code?
	How do you deal with uncommitted patches that are still in the evaluation process? Do you maintain them in your code base and keep merging them?

Cheers
David

Re: Multiple patches

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:15 PM, David Alves <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>        I have a dev question.
>        I made changes for WHIRR-221 and I'm starting to implement WHIRR-214.
>        I'd like to use some of the changes I made for WHIRR-221 (those that enable me to completely isolate the bootstrap/configure process for component/unit testing).

Perhaps these changes deserve to go into their own JIRA? In general,
small focused patches are better since they are easier to review and
less likely to conflict with other patches that are being worked on.

>        My question is:
>        How do you deal with multiple, uncommitted patches that have/use overlapping code?
>        How do you deal with uncommitted patches that are still in the evaluation process? Do you maintain them in your code base and keep merging them?

Yes. Git can be useful here. It can also be useful to put up patches
even when they are not finished so that others can see what you are
working on and provide early feedback.

Cheers,
Tom