Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2021/05/29 16:40:09 UTC

CMS Migration for OpenJPA

As you may recall the Apache CMS has been deprecated for over five years now and will be decommissioned
by July 31, 2021.

I’ve been tasked with moving OpenJPA's website away from the Apache CMS.
I will migrate your website to a Pelican build with GitHub Flavored Markdown (GFM).
For your reference the already migrated www-site is here https://github.com/apache/www-site/ <https://github.com/apache/www-site/>

The following will occur.
- A new git repository is created. openjpa-site is preferred.
- CMS mdtext files are converted to md and stored in the content tree.
- Page templates will be converted essentially as is with some minor improvements.
- Site data feeds are analyzed. If required a data model will be created.
- HTML files (apidocs) built separately are copied into the content tree. I’ll make a judgement call on
if these can be wrapped into the template.

The Apache CMS had a cumbersome process of individual checkouts -> staging -> publishing.
The new branching strategy is as follows:
- main will have the site content sources and any additional docs (like api docs).
- asf-site will have the production website which is automatically deployed to openjpa.apache.org <http://openjpa.apache.org/>.
During the migration we will deploy to openjpa.staged.apache.org <http://openjpa.staged.apache.org/>
- preview/release will have the website prepared for the next release. You will add release specific docs to this branch
- preview/release-staging will have the built preview website which is automatically deployed to openjpa-release.staged.apache.org <http://openjpa-release.staged.apache.org/>

This new plan allows for a redesign of your site without danger of premature deployment.
If you decide that GFM is not for openjpa then you can switch to a different process within a preview branch.

Release steps for the website could be:
- Branch main as preview/release
- Make your updates to preview/release
- Confirm your changes on openjpa-release.staged.apache.org <http://openjpa-release.staged.apache.org/>
- Pull your changes from preview/release to main. openjpa.apache.org <http://openjpa.apache.org/> is automatically updated.

All The Best,
Dave Fisher

Re: CMS Migration for OpenJPA

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il Mar 29 Giu 2021, 17:16 Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> OpenJPA GitHub site is now in production!

Thank you very  much!

Enrico

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.