Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by James Turton <dz...@apache.org> on 2022/04/13 08:41:47 UTC

Re: Application for release manager of the next Drill release

Hi Jingchuan Hu

The next major release is a long way off but, if nobody objects to the
idea, would you like to work with me to produce bug fix releases for
1.20?  This is new territory for our project but I think we could start
in one of our forks by cherry picking only the bug fix commits from the
master branch to the 1.20.0 branch (the trailing .0 in that branch name
is perhaps a little unfortunate) that was created by the last major
release.  We can then open a PR to the 1.20.0 branch in the main repo
and do a review.  Once that's approved and merged we can attach a new
tag of drill-1.20.1 and then do the Maven release plugin incantations to
produce and upload the new build artifacts.  As we go we can document
and script the process in the way that the major release process has been.

We'll naturally be led to revisit the -hadoop2 build in the process,
which is a good thing because it is unsatisfactory in its current form
which creates a whole new version of Drill (1.20.0-hadoop2), including
source control features like the branch and tag, and is not sensible
since this is only a build of 1.20.x under a different profile, not some
independent version of Drill.  Unfortunately the Maven release plugins
we use didn't seem to support this scenario, at least when I looked
while releasing 1.20, so one possibility here is that the project
decides to provide Hadoop 2 support in source form only: users who want
to run with Hadoop 2 must build themselves.  We would not be the only
Apache project to do this see e.g. HBase, Phoenix.  Or, half way, we
provide a deployable tarball for -hadoop2 but that's it, we don't
populate our Maven repo with the corresponding artifacts.

James

Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.
Hi Vitalii!

Unless something makes us change course, the two next releases are (in
my eyes).

1.20.1 (bugfix release)
2.0.0  (next major release)

James

Posted by Vitalii Diravka <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jingchuan Hu <ji...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Gotcha!

Best,
Jingchuan

Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.

Re: Drill 1.20.1 and some related choices to make

Posted by Jingchuan Hu <ji...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi James,

Maybe we could have a committer maintain the latest stable, and if there
are some weak positions needed to discuss, we could arrange a public code
review on the monthly meetup.

Best,
Jingchuan

Posted by James Turton <ja...@somecomputer.xyz.INVALID>.