Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@levelseas.com> on 2001/10/02 18:07:01 UTC

properties other than basic wrappers

Hi,

I guess this is directed at the commons-beanutils developers but I get the
impression that the struts / commmons developers are one and the same.  Is
there any work in progress to provide functionality for form-bean properties
with data types beyond the basic types / object wrappers?  having looked at
the code I guess the logical place for such code would be
org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtils.  I saw the following in the
struts 1.1 to-do list and wasn't sure if this was referring to the same
thing:

PropertyEditor Support. Add support for JavaBeans that include a
PropertyEditor class for conversion to and from the string representation
used in an HTML input field. This support should operate in a manner
consistent with the way that standard JSP tags do in JSP 1.2.

If there's a need for someone to work on this then how do I go about getting
involved?

Cheers Nathan

the system manager.

MIMEsweeper at LevelSeas for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com

Re: properties other than basic wrappers

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.
There was a discussion on using the PropertyEditor mechanism on this list a
few months ago, and there were some significant concerns. You can review the
thread in the archive entitled "Struts 1.1 TODO List -- Event and Listener
Model", starting here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=struts-dev_jakarta_apach
e_org&restrict=&exclude=&words=PropertyEditor

I don't have any personal practical experience with PropertyEditors, but I
have to say that the content of this thread pretty much killed any interest
I might have had in building them into Struts.

--
Martin Cooper