Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Noven <no...@yahoo.com> on 2012/11/10 21:18:45 UTC

Wicket 6 and wicket push

Hi all,

Just wanna ask question. Since wicket 6 is now featuring atmosphere, does it still work with wicket push? Did anybody try it before?
Thanks.

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.
If wicket-atmosphere already does websockets and provides long-polling as a
fallback, and wicket-websocket just does websocket, maybe Im missing the
reason for wicket-websocket (beyond it being thinner/lighter etc.).

Maybe wicket-push has a pluggable websocket provider (similar to how Wicket
itself uses jQuery) if thats really important. With that said, my
suggestion was based on my view point:  If I want push support in my app
(and why wouldn't I, it makes for some great interactive UIs...) I want it
to work - regardless of websocket and/or long polling implementations - it
would be great to know what technique was in use (from a diagnostics /
understanding standpoint, as well as being able to talk with the various IT
security groups that are leveraging such applications). If atmosphere gives
me that, then great.  If wicket-websocket provides additional
features/functionality/simplicity, then make that the default.  Beyond
being able to push server side messages to a client over websocket/long
poll, Im not sure what other features would be required.  Ive seen library
provided multiplexing on a commercial product, but thats about it. Im sure
there are more bells and whistles.

It's great that Wicket has support for this - I think it would be simpler
and more beneficial if all work was focussed on a single module, and it was
made simpler to setup/initialize (make it a self registering plugin, with
reasonable (but overridable) defaults) out of the box.

Nick

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Re: Wicket 6 and wicket push

Posted by Noven <no...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Martin,

I just did migration from wicket 1.4 to wicket 6.1.

My wicket 1.4 apps used wicketstuff-push. As wicket 6 has featured Atmosphere, I change the wicketstuff-push to atmosphere instead. Everything work fine in my local tomcat7. But when deployed to server, the atmosphere failed to start. Here the logs :

@40000000509f3e752d724124 WARN  - AtmosphereFramework        - Failed using comet support: org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7AsyncSupportWithWebSocket, error: Tomcat failed to detect this is a Comet application because context.xml is missing or the Http11NioProtocol Connector is not enabled.
@40000000509f3e752d7250c4 If that's not the case, you can also remove META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/lib/atmosphere-compat-tomcat.jar Is the Nio or Apr Connector enabled?

I read the same issue here : https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere/issues/359, tried the solution but has no luck.

After try and error about a day, I am thinking to use wicketstuff-push back.

Regards,
Noven

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,