Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Evan Rawson - Work <er...@americanadtrader.com> on 2007/06/28 18:00:58 UTC

T5 : potential feature - JSON component

It would be great if a JSON component could be created for T5. After some extensive research i feel that this feature really would add a ton of flexibility of how your tapestry application can communicate with other tapestry application running on a network. For example my company needs to split up our monstrous application now consisting of about 700 to 1000 pages, and and a few thousand components. We are branching off our sub applications to run as there own independent application. The ability to allow these separate application to talk to each other is very ambigious, meaning that we need to transfer data via http sessions or via a db.

with the implementation of JSON we could easily setup a java component service which could allow another tapestry application to request data from another server by giving it the domain, app name, and service name (what you wanna look up)

due to JSON 's extreme flexibility and speed, tapestry applicatiosn powered by JSON could allow our application to talk to and interact with pretty much any other application coded in any modern language. wether it be another web application or backend process, or even a desktop application.

i believe that JSON would be a better langauge versus say XML becuase its parser is faster, and its easier to intrepret in human language. JSON is also a more superior way to handle AJAX requests rather then using XML streams. (smaller size, and faster to parse)

just a thought.

~evan

Re: T5 : potential feature - JSON component

Posted by Evan Rawson - Work <er...@americanadtrader.com>.
thanx for bringing that up. flash would be really nice as well, that could
expand alot of the UI. however i really think AJAX is gonna take over flash
as more and more things are discovered which you can do with AJAX. flash is
kewl, but its also plugin dependent where as AJAX works on any JS compliant
browser. ive been in the process of writing my own flash data stream to
handle content via parameters, but a JSON implementation would be much more
superior as you can grab whatever data from any tapestry external JSON
service you have created on your application.

i suppose in a way JSON would also allow for any other future technologies
to be easily plugable into an existing tapestry application without the need
for serious UI overhaul.

this talk abotu flash gives me the proposal of creating a flash only UI, and
have a tapestry application running on the backend handling all DB queries,
scheeduled jobs, or any other processor intense process. you could even have
tapestry manage all of your flash resources and call the resources directly
withi flash via JSON. I could really see this open up a new scope for the
scalbility of flash applications. typically now you are limited to the base
size of your flash application. meaning if you have to many resources in
your flash movie it will take forever to download and run. whereas you could
have tapestry manage your backend and resources and have flash call whatever
resources it needs on the fly. this could be quite powerful.

i mean you can do this already, but the frameworks are which can handle this
aren't as robust and easy to use as tapestry is. tapestry is also pretty
fast and efficent at managing resources, along with your httpsession. this
could really extend flash technologies to a new level.

evan
Posted by #Cyrille37# <cy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by #Cyrille37# <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hello,