Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/05/23 18:21:16 UTC

Batik 1.0 Released

Hello,

Batik 1.0 is released! See:

http://xml.apache.org/batik

Batik 1.0 supports most of the static SVG features and fully
supports linking in addition. Furthermore, Batik 1.0 supports a
first level of scripting.

Since the first beta release in December 2000, many features have been
added or completed. Here are a few highlights on the new features:

+ Full filter effects support: lighting filters, drop shadows,
  displacement effects and more.

+ Full text support: Batik 1.0 supports embedded and external SVG
  Fonts, international text, vertical text and other fancy text
  features such as text on a path.

+ Full linking support: with SVG and Batik, you can navigate and
  link images just like you do with HTML pages. This is a powerful
  tool for building dynamic applications with SVG.

+ Full support for structural elements such as internal and external
  use/defs and switch elements. This is a important feature to organize
  your SVG content efficiently.

+ Performance improvements with major work in the rendering engine
  and the SVG processor engine.

+ Improved SVG generator (an API for exporting SVG from Java technology
  applications) which now offers more control over the output SVG

+ Improved SVG rasterizer (a tool to convert SVG images to raster
  formats such as JPEG, PNG or TIFF).

+ Multiple contributions, such as format converters (WMF to SVG and
  True Type Font to SVG Font) or tools to generate SVG charts.

Here are some important Batik resources:

+ get an on-line demo of the new software at:
     http://xml.apache.org/batik/batikDemo.html

+ download the new software at:
     http://xml.apache.org/batik/dist

+ post questions about the Batik project on the Batik mailing lists:
     http://xml.apache.org/batik/mailList.html

+ request extensions or report problems at:
     http://nagoya.betaversion.org/bugzilla/

We hope you will enjoy this new release of the Apache Batik software.
Best regards.
The Batik Team.

Re: Batik 1.0 Released

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Keiron,

I suspect this is a problem with your browser as the server does
return the right JNLP mime type for the deployment file, as we have
tested on various platform. I do not think that the proxy would make
any difference. May be your Java Web Start install did not work...
V.

Re: demo problem

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Keiron Liddle wrote:

> It turns out it was something to do with the proxy.

So I was completely wrong :-^ Glad you found the problem.
Cheers.
V.

Re: demo problem

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Fri, 25 May 2001 12:00:31 Keiron Liddle wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2001 18:21:16 Vincent Hardy wrote:
> >
> > Here are some important Batik resources:
> >
> > + get an on-line demo of the new software at:
> >      http://xml.apache.org/batik/batikDemo.html
>
> When I tried the on-line demo I get the following error:
>
> "Bad MIME type returned from server when accessing resource:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/batik/batikNagoya.jnlp - text/html"
> In the Java Web Start application.
>
> I am going through a proxy if that has anything to do with it.

It turns out it was something to do with the proxy.
It was able to connect and download, but it appears that it was changing
the mime type. Another proxy worked fine.

Re: Batik 1.0 Released

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.