Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2006/01/23 17:02:35 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Integration testing proposal for Maven 2.0.x

Hi,

In order to progress on the topic of integration testing, I'm proposing the
following strategy that we can implement immediately:

* We add one new <integrationTestSourceDirectory> element to the POM
(similar to the current <testSourceDirectory> element but for integration
tests)

* We make it default to src/test-integration.

* We create a new surefire:test-integration MOJO bound to the
integration-test lifecycle

* We implement this for Maven 2.0.3.

Let me know if that's ok and I'll try to implement it.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [PROPOSAL] Integration testing proposal for Maven 2.0.x

Posted by David Sag <ds...@epo.org>.
I prefer 'itest' to 'it', and prefer 'integration' even more.

Kind regards,
Dave Sag

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> I've just updated
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/best+practices+-+testing+strategies
>
> Let me know if you have questions about what's there.

Thanks, I'll take a look when I have a clearer head.

- Brett

RE: [PROPOSAL] Integration testing proposal for Maven 2.0.x

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

I'd love to do it but I've realized I still have lots of work on the m2
book's chapter. We need to decide where I spend my time and if someone can
help. Let's discuss this offline.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Vincent,

[...]

Does this sound ok?

- Brett

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1 for src/it

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1
Agree with Jason for src/it

Thanks for this improvement.

Vincent

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1 to src/it
-1 to 2.0.3, I'd rather have a stable 2.0.x without new features and
have a early 2.1 with the new stuff postponing new features not
implemented to 2.2

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
If the POM is changing, that would then increment the pom model version,
right? To 4.0.1?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Slowikowski <gs...@op.pl>.
> * We create a new surefire:test-integration MOJO bound to the
> integration-test lifecycle

You meant "integration-test PHASE"?

And in what phase will integration tests be compiled? Now we compile them
(with our own plugin) in test-compile, but I think it is to early (if you
want only
invoke "mvn package", you don't need it compilation).

Another "problem" with it compilation is that all our testing artifacts
needed by
integration tests, and not by unit tests have scope "test". There is not
"it" scope.
So they all (there are really many artifacts needed by cactus) are included
in
classpath for unit tests. Are we going to do something to avoid this, or is
it ok?

Greg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Integration testing proposal for Maven 2.0.x

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to progress on the topic of integration testing, I'm proposing the
> following strategy that we can implement immediately:
>
> * We add one new <integrationTestSourceDirectory> element to the POM
> (similar to the current <testSourceDirectory> element but for integration
> tests)

+1

I think we need the definition in the POM for the same reason that we
have it for the test source directory whereby at least two plug-ins
needs to get at that location (compile, surefire). Having the analog for
integration tests seems reasonable.

> * We make it default to src/test-integration.

I think right now we're using src/it in many places. I'm not picky here,
whatever is more clear.

> * We create a new surefire:test-integration MOJO bound to the
> integration-test lifecycle

+1

Again, an analog to the standard testing makes sense.

> * We implement this for Maven 2.0.3.

+1

If you want to implement it :-)

If we have a consensus feel free to add the issues to 2.0.3 and assign
them to yourself. The plan is to try for the 2.0.3 in ~30 days.

> Let me know if that's ok and I'll try to implement it.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)