Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Dahake, Nikhil" <nd...@uncc.edu> on 2013/07/02 17:17:41 UTC

[Math]Higher precision for Significance using Math Component

Hi,

I am using the SimpleRegression class's getSignificance() method to calculate the Significance on certain data. The lowest non zero value that this method currently returns is : 2.220446e-16 (for the data that I am analyzing).

However, I need a higher precision. For example, on analysis with an another library the lowest non zero value I got was : 9.262178e-98

How can I get a very high precision with regards to significance using the SimpleRegression class? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Nikhil Dahake

Re: [Math]Higher precision for Significance using Math Component

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
How does significance make any sense at all at these levels?  How can
higher precision do you any good at all?  Can't you just use the underlying
z-score (or whatever) directly instead of precision?