Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org> on 2008/03/14 00:08:43 UTC

Plugin eval failed

Hi all,

I upgraded to  sa 3.2.4

And I've been restarting spamd every 15 minutes just to keep mail coming in,

This is what is constantly coming up in the maillog

plugin: eval failed: child processing timeout at /usr/local/bin/spamd line
1259.

Any help would be appreciated

Running

Freebsd 6.2
SA 3.2.4
Exim 4.68
Perl 5.8.8
Clamav 92.1

JP

RE: Plugin eval failed

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Hi JP,

I had this problem when I upgraded to 3.2.3 temporarily, and for a while
after the downgrade to 3.1.7.

I had not done enough research and found that I had installed 3.2.3 with
a different method than what the original package was installed with.
This caused install paths to change for various files, and I ended up
with 2 different versions of some files spread over the system.

This was causing all sorts of errors, but mainly the having to restart
SA constantly as it was falling over.

Whilst this may not be your issue, it is worth checking that all of your
.cf and pre files are sane, as well as any Perl CPAN modules. I removed
all of my CPAN modules, and installed them via apt-get in Debian
instead. I then removed all instances of every Spamassassin file on the
system, and reinstalled from scratch. (keeping local.cf and user_prefs
of course).

Hope this is some help,

Cheers,
Mike

RE: Plugin eval failed

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 18:38 13-03-2008, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
>1.We have a sitewide config
>2.Startup parameters are
>command_args="-d --min-children=2 --max-children=10 --min-spare=2
>--max-spare=3 --max-conn-per-child=100 -r ${pidfile}"
>
>3.I do not scan messages  over 250 k
>
>4.We process roughly 5k messages daily
>
>5. the hardware is ehh kinda crappy, but we don't really process that much
>PIII 550 448 ram

You did not mention how much memory each spamd process takes.  With
that amount of RAM, a max-children of ten may be too high.  Basically
you should see whether the maximum number of spamd processes
(max-children) fits in available RAM.

Regards,
-sm

RE: Plugin eval failed

Posted by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org>.

>1) Reduce max-children to 8 or less. (Use 6 if you can).
When I go lower, I get  "server has reaacehd max children, consider raising
it"

>2) Eliminate pre-forking (--round-robin option).
Do no know how to this, do i just add "--round-robin option"  to my rc.d
script?

>3) Set a timeout option (--timeout-child=60).

>4) Reduce message size passed to SpamAssassin to
   32K or less.  There is a cost/benefit ratio to
   consider here.  What percentage of your spam is
   greater than 32K?

>5) Reduce stack size (ulimit) for the spamd process
   (if you can) to improve memory efficiency.
Do not know how to set this either--

>6) Pray that some botnet doesn't latch on to you
   and obliterate your server!

But that's me.  I am assuming your system had a
working configuration with a stock SA installation.
Good luck.

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

	1.We have a sitewide config
	2.Startup parameters are
	command_args="-d --min-children=2 --max-children=10 --min-spare=2
	--max-spare=3 --max-conn-per-child=100 -r ${pidfile}"

	3.I do not scan messages  over 250 k

	4.We process roughly 5k messages daily

	5. the hardware is ehh kinda crappy, but we don't really process that
much
	PIII 550 448 ram

	And this  machine does not "hold" any mail , it process it, then , if
clean
	and spam free it goes right to our exchange server

Posted by Jared Hall <jh...@tbi.net>.
Seems a little underpowered to me.
10 children w/ 448M is pushing it, IMHO.
Same opinion of a 550 P3 scanning EMail with
SA and clamAV.

Given your system, I would:

RE: Plugin eval failed

Re: Plugin eval failed