Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2006/06/01 03:13:25 UTC

[VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest, so now
I'm calling for a vote for the Incubator to formally accept it.

A few editorial comments: at this point, I have little doubt that this
codebase will attract a diverse and sustainable community.  My concern
is now the reverse: seeing talks of Rome join in and there being talk of
these two merging with Roller... seems both very exciting... as well a
bit premature.

In my mind, the best way to find out what shape the community will take
is to watch it incubate.  Therefore, I'd like to explicitly propose that
we neither predetermine nor rule out any possible destination for this.
 It could become a TLP.  It could merge with Rome and/or other feed
libraries, if they get proposed to the ASF.  It could all get subsumed
into Roller.  My initial concerns are, respectively, critical mass,
potentially divergent goals, and Umbrella -- each, of course, could be
addressed/mitigated, that's why I am recommendating that we defer this
decision until we have had a chance to observe the community.  (Note:
this is not a new idea, I've suggested it on number of occasions before).

With all that said, here's my

  +1

- Sam Ruby

 - - -

>From http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AbderaProposal :

## page was renamed from AriProposal
= Abdera, an Atom Implementation Proposal =

== 0. Rationale ==

The fundamental goal of the project is to provide a high-quality and
functionally-complete implementation of the Atom Syndication Format
(RFC4287) and the Atom Publishing Protocol specifications published by
the IETF Atompub working group.

(the ancient city of Abdera, Thrace was the birthplace of the Greek
Philosopher Democritus, one of the
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democritus co-originators of "atomism"])

== 0.1 Criteria ==

=== Meritocracy: ===

Apache was chosen for an incubator for the guidance the community can
provide.

=== Community: ===

The contributed work was inspired by open source development and by the
need to have functionally complete implementations of the Atom
specifications available for developers to use.  To be successful, the
project needs to build a strong and diverse community to validate its
mission and carry it forward. Further, the project needs to be guided by
the same general principles of open and transparent development that has
helped to shape the standards upon which the project is based.

=== Core Developers: ===

The initial committers for the project are employees of the donating
company. Two of the developers have worked on open source projects
before and have experience with and a deep understanding of open source
principles.

=== Alignment: ===

The initial code has been implemented in Java and is based primarily on
the same Apache Axiom / StAX XML parsing API that underpins the Apache
Axis2 project.  As such, the implementations draws heavily on the work
of other existing Apache projects and will continue to do so.

== 0.2 Warning signs ==

=== Orphaned products: ===

The initial committers are users of this toolkit and have a long-term
interest in use and maintenance of the code.

=== Inexperience with open source: ===

Several of the commiters are very experienced in Open Source
environment. All efforts have and will be made to ensure that the work
done and momentum will be in strict adherence to open source guidelines.

=== Homogenous developers: ===

As noted above, the initial list of developers consists of paid
employees of the donating company.  However, efforts will be made to
actively expand the team of developers committing to the project.

The current list of committers bring with them a broad range of
experiences with open source, standards, emerging technologies, and
product development.

=== Reliance on salaried developers: ===

The initial set of committers are salaried developers. Through the
incubation process, more diversity will hopefully be achieved in many
aspects, including reliance on salaried developers.

=== No ties to other Apache products: ===

The initial codebase relies heavily on existing Apache technologies and
will continue to do so.

=== A fascination with the Apache brand: ===

The committers are intent on developing a strong open source community.
We believe that the Apache Software Foundation's emphasis on community
development makes it the most suitable choice.

== 1. Scope of the subprojects ==

The initial scope of the project will be the development of a
functionally-complete Java-language implementation of the Atom
Syndication Format and Atom Publishing Protocol specifications, along
with a selection of extensions and utility functions.  It is expected,
however, that C/C++ and possibly other language implementations will be
explored in the future.

The Atom Syndication Format implementation will include a
high-performance parser and serializer for Atom documents, a set of
API's for working with the Atom data model, support for a variety of
extensions to the Atom format, and support for various advanced features
such as XPath, XML Digital Signatures, Feed paging, etc.

The Atom Publishing Protocol implementation will include both client and
server implementations designed with the dual purpose of demonstrating
the proper function of the protocol and providing the tools necessary to
build and deploy Atom Publishing-based applications.

== 2. Initial source ==

The initial source for the project was originally written to address the
needs of the donating company's own internal Atom development
activities.  A snapshot of the initial source is available at
http://www.snellspace.com/public/abdera.tar.gz.

== 2.1 External Dependencies of the project ==

The current implemenation depends on the following components:

 * Apache Axiom 1.0
 * StAX XML API's
 * The Woodstox XML Parser
 * Java Activation Framework (JAF) and JavaMail API
 * Jaxen (optional for XPath support)
 * Junit (for unit testing)
 * Apache Ant (for the build)

== 3. Identify the ASF resources to be created ==

== 3.1 mailing list(s) ==

 * abdera-ppmc (moderated subscriptions)
 * abdera-dev
 * abdera-commits
 * abdera-user

== 3.2 Subversion repository ==

 * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera

== 3.3 Bugzilla ==

 * Abdera

== 4. Identify the initial set of committers: ==

 * James M Snell (IBM)
 * Sam Ruby (IBM)
 * Robert Yates (IBM)

== 5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual ==

We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the Abdera Atom
implementation as an incubating project.

Champion: Sam Ruby

Mentors:

 * Garrett Rooney
 * Paul Querna

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'll be faxing my CLA in tomorrow.  Rob should be sending his in soon as
well.

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
>[snip]
>> As soon as my user account is set up, I can check in the initial drop
>> of the code.
>
> I believe we'll also need the software grant on file first.

Ok,  I'll look into getting that software grant in by Friday.

- James

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/6/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I faxed my CLA in this afternoon.

Great, as soon as it's acked by the ASF Secretary we'll get root@ to
set up your account.

> As soon as my user account is set up, I can check in the initial drop of the code.

I believe we'll also need the software grant on file first.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
I faxed my CLA in this afternoon.  As soon as my user account is set up,

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/5/06, Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:

> Mailing lists:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-829
>
> Repository:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/
>
> Initial committers:
> abdera=eliast,rubys,yoavs
>
> James M Snell and Robert Yates do not have CLAs or accounts.
>
> Bugzilla:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-830

I just set up the status page:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/abdera.html

If anyone sees anything on there that's incorrect, please let me know.

Oh, and FYI, the mailing lists and repository have already been set up
by infra people, so people should probably start subscribing to the
lists so we can get started.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 6/5/06, Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:

> Garrett Rooney wrote:

> >> Paul
> the

> this
> >>
> >> Mailing lists:
> >> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-829
> >>
> >> Repository:
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/
> >>
> >> Initial committers:
> >> abdera=eliast,rubys,yoavs
> >>
> >> James M Snell and Robert Yates do not have CLAs or accounts.
> >>
> >> Bugzilla:
> >> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-830
> >
> > Perhaps we should consult the initial project members and see if they
> > would prefer JIRA to Bugzilla, before we actually start creating
> > projects and so forth...
>
> I also wouldn't mind Jira, I was just following what was in the proposal
> :)

I would actually recommend JIRA over Bugzilla, because of all the increased
ease of use for both users and developers, and because of the additional
functionality, such as dashboards and roadmaps, which make it much more than
just a bug tracking system. The communities I'm involved with that have
switched from Bugzilla to JIRA are definitely glad they so.

--
Martin Cooper

-Paul

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I actually prefer Bugzilla as well, if only to stay at purely FOSS as
possible ;)

Yoav

On 6/5/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally prefer bugzilla for the simple fact that I've very little
> experience with Jira :-) ... either is fine tho... the proposal was just
> following what I saw in some of the other proposals :-)
>
> - James
>
> Paul Querna wrote:
> >[snip]
> >> Perhaps we should consult the initial project members and see if they
> >> would prefer JIRA to Bugzilla, before we actually start creating
> >> projects and so forth...
> >
> > I also wouldn't mind Jira, I was just following what was in the proposal :)
> >
> > -Paul

Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
1 Mifflin Place, Suite 310
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 5/31/06, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest, so now
> I'm calling for a vote for the Incubator to formally accept it.
>
> A few editorial comments: at this point, I have little doubt that this
> codebase will attract a diverse and sustainable community.  My concern
> is now the reverse: seeing talks of Rome join in and there being talk of
> these two merging with Roller... seems both very exciting... as well a
> bit premature.
>
> In my mind, the best way to find out what shape the community will take
> is to watch it incubate.  Therefore, I'd like to explicitly propose that
> we neither predetermine nor rule out any possible destination for this.
> It could become a TLP.  It could merge with Rome and/or other feed
> libraries, if they get proposed to the ASF.  It could all get subsumed
> into Roller.  My initial concerns are, respectively, critical mass,
> potentially divergent goals, and Umbrella -- each, of course, could be
> addressed/mitigated, that's why I am recommendating that we defer this
> decision until we have had a chance to observe the community.  (Note:
> this is not a new idea, I've suggested it on number of occasions before).
>
> With all that said, here's my
>
>   +1

+1 from me too. I'll also be interested to see the direction this takes.

I was very tempted to volunteer as mentor #3, but the timing is wrong right
now for me to devote adequate time for that. I will, however, undoubtedly
hang out on the lists.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On May 31, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest, so
> now
> I'm calling for a vote for the Incubator to formally accept it.
>
> A few editorial comments: at this point, I have little doubt that this
> codebase will attract a diverse and sustainable community.  My concern
> is now the reverse: seeing talks of Rome join in and there being
> talk of
> these two merging with Roller... seems both very exciting... as well a
> bit premature.
>
> In my mind, the best way to find out what shape the community will
> take
> is to watch it incubate.  Therefore, I'd like to explicitly propose
> that
> we neither predetermine nor rule out any possible destination for
> this.
>  It could become a TLP.  It could merge with Rome and/or other feed
> libraries, if they get proposed to the ASF.  It could all get subsumed
> into Roller.  My initial concerns are, respectively, critical mass,
> potentially divergent goals, and Umbrella -- each, of course, could be
> addressed/mitigated, that's why I am recommendating that we defer this
> decision until we have had a chance to observe the community.  (Note:
> this is not a new idea, I've suggested it on number of occasions
> before).
>
> With all that said, here's my
>
>   +1

And mine: +1

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
> +1 on accepting the proposal for incubation.
>
> I am also interested in personally contributing to this project as a
> committer, though I regretfully do not have the bandwidth to
> effectively mentor this proposal.  I hope the proposal team doesn't
> mind that I've just added myself to the wiki as a member of the
> initial set of committers.

Don't mind at all.

- James

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 6/1/06, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > >  * abdera-dev
> > >  * abdera-commits
> > >  * abdera-user
> > >
> > > == 3.2 Subversion repository ==
> > >
> > >  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera
> > >
> > > == 3.3 Bugzilla ==
> > >
> > >  * Abdera
> > >
> > > == 4. Identify the initial set of committers: ==
> > >
> > >  * James M Snell (IBM)
> > >  * Sam Ruby (IBM)
> > >  * Robert Yates (IBM)
> > >
> > > == 5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual ==
> > >
> > > We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the Abdera Atom
> > > implementation as an incubating project.
> > >
> > > Champion: Sam Ruby
> > >
> > > Mentors:
> > >
> > >  * Garrett Rooney
> > >  * Paul Querna

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > VP/Technology, WSO2 and OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
1 Mifflin Place, Suite 310
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

> [...]

>  * Java Activation Framework (JAF) and JavaMail API
>  * Jaxen (optional for XPath support)
>  * Junit (for unit testing)
>  * Apache Ant (for the build)
>
> == 3. Identify the ASF resources to be created ==
>
> == 3.1 mailing list(s) ==
>
>  * abdera-ppmc (moderated subscriptions)
>  * abdera-dev
>  * abdera-commits
>  * abdera-user
>
> == 3.2 Subversion repository ==
>
>  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera
>
> == 3.3 Bugzilla ==
>
>  * Abdera
>
> == 4. Identify the initial set of committers: ==
>
>  * James M Snell (IBM)
>  * Sam Ruby (IBM)
>  * Robert Yates (IBM)
>
> == 5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual ==
>
> We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the Abdera Atom
> implementation as an incubating project.

Paul Fremantle

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/31/06, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest, so now
> I'm calling for a vote for the Incubator to formally accept it.
>
> A few editorial comments: at this point, I have little doubt that this
> codebase will attract a diverse and sustainable community.  My concern
> is now the reverse: seeing talks of Rome join in and there being talk of
> these two merging with Roller... seems both very exciting... as well a
> bit premature.
>
> In my mind, the best way to find out what shape the community will take
> is to watch it incubate.  Therefore, I'd like to explicitly propose that
> we neither predetermine nor rule out any possible destination for this.
>  It could become a TLP.  It could merge with Rome and/or other feed
> libraries, if they get proposed to the ASF.  It could all get subsumed
> into Roller.  My initial concerns are, respectively, critical mass,
> potentially divergent goals, and Umbrella -- each, of course, could be
> addressed/mitigated, that's why I am recommendating that we defer this
> decision until we have had a chance to observe the community.  (Note:
> this is not a new idea, I've suggested it on number of occasions before).
>
> With all that said, here's my
>
>   +1

I agree that there are numerous issues that will need to be worked out
as time goes on, primarily with regard to project scope, but that can
be worked out in the future.  It seems clear that there is enough
interest for us to do SOMETHING in this space, and the details will
depend on the actual community that grows up around this project.

So likewise, +1 from me.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 6/1/06, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
> >>
> >>Champion: Sam Ruby
> >>
> >>Mentors:
> >>
> >> * Garrett Rooney
> >> * Paul Querna
> >
> > One more would be good :-). Perhaps you should volunteer -- you're
> > pretty good at it...and you'll be working on the stuff anyway...
>
> Only as a last resort.  ;-)

First, I'm of the camp that the right number of mentors is one, but I
> respect that others differ on this.

there are some good reasons to prefer three mentors. in particular, three
gives a natural quorum for binding decisions. this reduces friction and
assists smooth flow. (browse the roller lists both public and private to see
the disadvantages of a single mentor no matter how good the community and
mentor.)

anyway, i'm +1 to seeing how things work out...

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Sam Ruby wrote:
>[snip]
> However, with that being said, whatever the wiki page may say, the
> people on this project will receive the benefit (ha!) of my personal
> style of quiet mentoring.

And your test cases. Don't forget your test cases.  Test cases are Good. :-)

- James

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/06, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:

<snip>

I'm not so fond of the actual word "mentor" (or, for that matter,
> "champion") at all.

i dunno - champion's nicely quaint. i quite like the sound of sam having to
defend the honour of Abdera in mortal combat  :-)

(i'll refrain from similar comments on the greek origins of the word mentor)

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:17:44AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> >>Mentors:
> >
> > One more would be good :-)
>
> First, I'm of the camp that the right number of mentors is one, but I
> respect that others differ on this.

*shrug*. What's in a name...I'll be less brief below :-)

> Second, no matter how hard I try, some on this list (and on members@)
> can't seem to look past the fact that I have the letters I.B.M.
> permananently branded across my forehead.  Their loss.

*I* blatantly refuse to accept that as any kind of reason for anything.
So especially not as an argument here :-). Ha!

> However, with that being said, whatever the wiki page may say, the
> people on this project will receive the benefit (ha!) of my personal
> style of quiet mentoring.

Ok ok, I knew that :-). What *I* like about the "three" in the
"three mentors" thing is that we have a status page somewhere
that points at three people who are

  1) "known"
  2) on the incubator PMC
  3) looking at what the project is doing
  4) somehow also some kind of "participant"

I'm not so fond of the actual word "mentor" (or, for that matter,
"champion") at all.

this means we are sure projects can get somehow enough "binding" (as per
"binding"-through-being-on-a-PMC-which-is-defined-in-the-bylaws formal kind
of binding) +1 votes on a variety of things and that any "PPMC" can make some
kinds of decisions on its own. For example, I think Harmony's been accepting
more corporate donations on its own than the rest of the incubator combined,
and this scales well because we have incubator PMC people ("mentors") watching
and casting votes (and writing status reports and having a traceable process
etc etc). Its about scaling the incubator.

Perhaps we can just do a list of "PMC people who consider themselves in a
role to cast votes as PMC members while on a PPMC". Call it (P)PMC(P). Or
assistant TPS report commissioner.

Anyhoo. Also happy to agree to disagree. Slowly getting better at that :-)

LSD

Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 09:13:25PM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest

yup, seems like it.