Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/02 18:14:30 UTC

4.9 Release Management

Hello Everyone,
I have mentioned this in other related threads, but I wanted to make an
official thread on the topic.

I am nominating myself as the release manager for 4.9.  Please feel free to
discuss if you have comments or concerns.

I will not be working alone, I will be assisted by Koushik Das and Patrick
Dube.  I will be running point, but all three of us will be working
together as a unit for this release.

Our main focus for this release is the integration of hardware Continuous
Integration (CI) into the PR flow.  Koushik and his team will be setting up
a CI environment which will be used for testing PRs and I will also be
setting up a CI environment for testing PRs.

The details of the CI integration will be handled publicly, but we will
likely have to work with a minimum viable implementation initially and move
forward from there.  Here are some of the key aspects of the CI which are
top of mind for me.

- Standardize a feedback mechanism to post the result of CI runs back to
the relevant PR.  I believe the best way to do this would be to post a
summary of the CI run in the PR thread on Github.  With the existing
integration, this will then get pushed to the mailing list (since all
comments on a PR are pushed to the mailing list).
- Ideally, we will also make the CI logs available for the run.  We are
still working out the details of how we do this, but we will likely be
pushing the logs to an object store with a cleanup window to remove the
logs after a set period of time (probably a week).  This should give people
the opportunity to pull the logs if they are interested in the test
results, but will reduce the need for ever growing storage.
- In order to parallelize the CI operations, we will not be automatically
kicking off a CI run for every PR for now.  Instead, we will communicate
between us and each run distinct PRs so we can maximize the utilization of
our hardware.

Some longer term goals of the CI in my mind are as follows:

- I would like the core CI framework to be easily distributed and
accessible to anyone who has hardware available.  This would enable anyone
to setup a CI on their hardware and it would automatically be hooked up to
feedback the results to the Github PRs.  I feel this is very important long
term because every individual or organization depends on a different
configuration and hardware setup, so it empowers them to validate their own
use case while adding value back to the community.

Additional details will follow, namely the release schedule etc.

Please contribute your ideas and feedback.

Cheers,

Will

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
People,

I agree that CI is an important issue and I thank Will for taking owner
ship. Will: Thank you. I will keep watching the builds.apache.org part of
it and hammer on new or old :/s findbugs issues that come up.
4.9 and CI are not related directly. CI would be related to release process
and not to a release.
If the quality of 4.9 can be guaranteed by means of good code review and
partly CI (the builds.apache.org and travis jobs) partly running test jobs
by hand (in bubbles i.e. devcloud new style) as we did with 4.6 through 4.8
let's go for that and release.

€0,02
--
Daan

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
I need to talk to the other guys and start to work that out.  We have to
have at least one CI environment up and running that we can validate
against before we will be able to have a clear timeline.  This is a work in
progress as we speak...

*Will STEVENS*
Lead Developer

*CloudOps* *| *Cloud Solutions Experts
w cloudops.com *|* tw @CloudOps_

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com>.
[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Abhinandan Prateek
Software Architect      ,       ShapeBlue

d:       | s: +44 203 603 0540<tel:|%20s:%20+44%20203%20603%200540>      |      m:      +91 970 11 99011<tel:+91%20970%2011%2099011>

e:      abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>         |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image0d9449.png@84acf60b.4ab55f1a]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
Thanks Simon.  :)

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Will,

e:      paul.angus@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>        |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
4.9 should only be released if it passes the CI tests... pardon the pun.

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 2, 2016, at 10:21 PM, Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, I understand and agree with you.  On the flip side, the lack of CI has
> been a thorn in our side for a long time and the increased cadence only
> adds to this problem, so I am trying to walk a thin line here.
>
> Personally, if CI is the only thing I can contribute to ACS as the 4.9 RM,
> I will be happy with that.  It is a problem that has to be solved and
> someone has to own it.

100% agree, and I am glad you are stepping up.

-sebastien

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.

RE: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks for taking up the baton Will et al.

Just for clarity - given that getting CI 'done' will take some time (mainly because of the state of the Marvin Tests and Marvin output) - are 'we' now dropping the monthly releases?

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Paul Angus
VP Technology   ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 203 617 0528 | s: +44 203 603 0540<tel:+44%20203%20617%200528%20|%20s:%20+44%20203%20603%200540>     |      m:      +44 7711 418784<tel:+44%207711%20418784>

e:      paul.angus@shapeblue.com | t: @cloudyangus<ma...@cloudyangus>      |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image1c9d01.png@0dd3a650.4f94077d]

Re: 4.9 Release Management

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Will, Samir, Koushik and Patrick,