Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Darren Spehr <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/21 19:15:39 UTC

Solr 4.10.3 start up issue

Hi everyone -

I posted a question on stackoverflow but in hindsight this would have been
a better place to start. Below is the link.

Basically I can't get the example working when using an external ZK cluster
and auto-core discovery. Solr 4.10.1 works fine, but the newest release
never gets new nodes into the active state. There are no errors or
warnings, and compared to the log output of 4.10.1, the difference is that
nodes never make it to leader election.

Here is the stackoverflow question, along with the full log output:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28004832/solr-4-10-3-is-not-proceeding-to-leader-election-on-new-cluster-startup-hangs

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Darren

Re: Solr 4.10.3 start up issue

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: had thought to do this before - and should have; I uploaded the full
: example collection configuration to ZK just now and tried again. Magic, it
: worked, which left me feeling a bit glum. Well, happy that it wasn't Solr.
: Now if you'll excuse me, I have a conf review to perform.

if your problem really is related to SOLR-6643, then you should be able to
get more details by doing an explicit core creation using those config
files *after* solr starts up (it's a quirk of where/how core loading is
different on startup vs via the CoreAdminHandler - noted in the jira)

that may help you pinpoint the problem.

in theory: if the confgset is alread yin zk, then the CollectionAdmin
CREATE commant will help you find hte same errors -- but my suggestion
would be to keep it simple: single node solr, startup with no cores, then
do core CREATE pointed at a directory with your configs and see what error
you get.

:
: Darren
:
: On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>
: wrote:
:
: >
: > : I posted a question on stackoverflow but in hindsight this would have
: > been
: > : a better place to start. Below is the link.
: > :
: > : Basically I can't get the example working when using an external ZK
: > cluster
: > : and auto-core discovery. Solr 4.10.1 works fine, but the newest release
: >
: > your SO URL shows the output of using your custom configs, but not what
: > you got with the example configs -- so it's not clear to me if there is
: > really just one problem, or perhaps 2?
: >
: > you also mentioned a lot of details about how you are using solr with zk,
: > and what doens't work, but it's not clear if you tried other simpler steps
: > using your configs -- or the example configs -- and if those simpler *did*
: > work (ie: single node solr startup?)
: >
: > my best guess, based on the logs you did post and the mention of
: > "lib/mq/solr-search-ahead-2.0.0.jar" in those logs, is that the entire
: > question of zk and slcuster state and leaders is a red herring, and what
: > you are running into is: SOLR-6643...
: >
: > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6643
: >
: > ...if i'm right, then simple core discovery with your configs on a single
: > node solr instance w/o any knowledge of ZK will also fail to init the core
: > -- and if you try to use the CoreAdmin API to CREATE a core, you'll ge
: > some kind of LinkageError.
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > : Here is the stackoverflow question, along with the full log output:
: > :
: > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28004832/solr-4-10-3-is-not-proceeding-to-leader-election-on-new-cluster-startup-hangs
: >
: >
: > -Hoss
: > http://www.lucidworks.com/
: >
:
:
:
: --
: Darren
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Solr 4.10.3 start up issue

Posted by Darren Spehr <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hoss, this is exactly what I needed. I had previously run the
example using nothing more than an external ZK hosting my own
configuration. This of course means one of two things - my conf was bad, or
Solr was at fault. The conf has been working for ages so I didn't test a
replacement (it's amazing how a little frustration can fuel such hubris). I

--
Darren

Re: Solr 4.10.3 start up issue

Re: Solr 4.10.3 start up issue

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Darren,

Can you please show the contents of the clusterstate.json from ZooKeeper?
Please use github gist or a pastebin like service. The Admin UI has a
"dump" screen which shows the entire content of ZooKeeper as a json.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Darren Spehr <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone -
>
> I posted a question on stackoverflow but in hindsight this would have been
> a better place to start. Below is the link.
>
> Basically I can't get the example working when using an external ZK cluster
> and auto-core discovery. Solr 4.10.1 works fine, but the newest release
> never gets new nodes into the active state. There are no errors or
> warnings, and compared to the log output of 4.10.1, the difference is that
> nodes never make it to leader election.
>
> Here is the stackoverflow question, along with the full log output:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28004832/solr-4-10-3-is-not-proceeding-to-leader-election-on-new-cluster-startup-hangs
>
> Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> --
> Darren

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.